Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using electronic drum kit pedal for marks input

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using electronic drum kit pedal for marks input

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    You mean something like this? https://xkeys.com/xkeys/footpedals.html

That is exactly the idea, yes. Except in this case, a drum pedal is designed to snap back quickly and handle rapid fire input. Those pedals look like the kind of thing where you just need a switch toggle, but yes, exactly the kind of idea I had. I figure there HAS to be software somewhere that can bind some kind of input signal to a key. The question is which format the input would be in

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    That is exactly the idea, yes. Except in this case, a drum pedal is designed to snap back quickly and handle rapid fire input. Those pedals look like the kind of thing where you just need a switch toggle, but yes, exactly the kind of idea I had. I figure there HAS to be software somewhere that can bind some kind of input signal to a key. The question is which format the input would be in
    Sounds like you didn't spend much time browsing the xKeys site. They have exactly that. Most of their products work with a little utility that allows you to assign HID keystrokes to the inputs. Then there's all their products. I started you at the section with the pedals, but they also have keys, buttons, pendants, etc. Some of those have the interface built in, others are just a contact closure switch that attaches to an interface. There are a few varieties to the interfaces. This one is a flexible GPIO type device. https://xkeys.com/usbgpio.html

I don't think I've ever seen a pedal switch with a drum pedal type of action. but if that's what you're after you could always use a regular drum pedal and have it's hammer beat on a standard button.

If you want to get super DIY, get yourself an extra USB keyboard, most of us have a few extra in the basement. Glue a block to the spacebar. then tape the whole thing to the wall and line it up to the hammer on your drum pedal. You can "reprogram" the key binding by moving the block to another key. Or if you want a more elegant solution, here's an instructable that gives a pretty good idea. https://www.instructables.com/id/Dru...for-Rock-Band/

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you didn't spend much time browsing the xKeys site. They have exactly that. Most of their products work with a little utility that allows you to assign HID keystrokes to the inputs. Then there's all their products. I started you at the section with the pedals, but they also have keys, buttons, pendants, etc. Some of those have the interface built in, others are just a contact closure switch that attaches to an interface. There are a few varieties to the interfaces. This one is a flexible GPIO type device. https://xkeys.com/usbgpio.html

I don't think I've ever seen a pedal switch with a drum pedal type of action. but if that's what you're after you could always use a regular drum pedal and have it's hammer beat on a standard button.

If you want to get super DIY, get yourself an extra USB keyboard, most of us have a few extra in the basement. Glue a block to the spacebar. then tape the whole thing to the wall and line it up to the hammer on your drum pedal. You can "reprogram" the key binding by moving the block to another key. Or if you want a more elegant solution, here's an instructable that gives a pretty good idea. https://www.instructables.com/id/Dru...for-Rock-Band/
    Sorry, I wasn't meaning it that way. I meant I have a bunch of these electronic drum kick pedals from various sets, so I would love to find a way to use those instead of buying a brand new pedal. For reference, I once built myself a Frankenstein drum kit from various parts of guitar hero and rock band drum kits and an actual electronic set. So you can see why I'd be averse to buying another input pedal. But yes, for the second idea, that's the kind of idea I meant

Post Thanks / Like

Also, these aren't actual kick pedals in the sense of chain and spring and mallet. They are spring loaded with horizontal sensors on the base like a piezo that just fires off an on/off signal, or an intensity data depending on which one

Post Thanks / Like

41KNyRFhLuL.jpg
    Here's an example

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so it looks like you already have the electric pedal switches. That puts you halfway there. Now you can just connect them to an interface like that xKeys GPIO device and you've got a solution. Or if you don't want to spend $100 on the ready made xKeys solution, you could roll your own with an Arduino or other microcontroller. You can write a sketch to configure an Arduino Uno as HID device using switches like your pedals connected to the GPIO pins as a trigger. Here's an article on the topic. https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=489185.0 This would be a very cheap $10 solution, but would require a bit of work on your part in writing the sketch.

Post Thanks / Like

Jon,
    From someone who doesn't quite know... How do you capture the pulses into the sequencer? (If you want, I'll start a new thread on this one.)
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

We already support tapping marks via keystroke while playing in the editor by holding shift and tapping the spacebar. So for this, you have two options. You could either bind shift-space, or just space to the pedal/switch input. I'm not sure how well it would work to bind shift space together. (there might be timing issues) But if that works, the pedal would always do the shift-space function and tap marks whenever the editor is playing. If the combo binding gives issues, of you prefer more flexibility, you could just bind the shift key to the pedal. That way, you could hold shift while you want to tap marks, and release it when you don't. This would also allow you to use the pedal for start/stop control when shift isn't being pressed.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking this would be a great method, if it could be adapted to something like a drum pad. (Keyboard can become boring when doing a long song. Give me a good drumstick, and something to "slam" on.)
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    I was thinking this would be a great method, if it could be adapted to something like a drum pad. (Keyboard can become boring when doing a long song. Give me a good drumstick, and something to "slam" on.)
    Glad to hear I'm not one of the only people who this would help out. In my case, it's because I'm literally transcribing drum tracks to an actual drum set with lights inside lol. Hell, I was focusing on the pedal as a starting point not wanting to get too far ahead of myself, but those drums support midi and 6 trigger inputs. Although the solution to bind the single input to shift space is great, that method certainly would not work for multiple triggers unless I'm mistaken? As in, you can only address one set of marks at a time without switching to another color/style. You couldn't have say the kick input mark a blue mark, but another drum being played in the same run through Mark as a different set correct? It's one at a time with only shift spacebar as a trigger?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast