Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using electronic drum kit pedal for marks input

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using electronic drum kit pedal for marks input

I should also point out that the world is FILLED with oodles of these used drum kits and pedals meant for music rhythm games. The genre was insanely popular for many years but died off. These instruments took up space and collected dust. It's not uncommon for me to see 2-3 perfect condition drums for one of those games at a thrift store. Often for as little as $10. Could be a case where these could be repurposed for our hobby if the method for input is worked out. They are all wired with built in USB and!/or wireless and have established drivers for pc
    Last edited by XmasinVancouver; 10-27-2019 at 06:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think ultimately getting to a point where we can read in a multi track midi file and convert it to marks and or effects is the end game we would like to get to. I think Jon was offering potential solutions you could use without the additional code enhancements we need to do to get to the more ideal solutions. Right now, those ideas are are going to be your best bet. I do want to work with folks interested in this type of workflow to build that out, but I am also gearing up for my show and my development cycles at least until the end of Nov will be limited and focused around bugs. I think there are a lot of interesting ideas being circulated here, so keep the thoughts coming. Several folks want this, and we have been talking about giving it more priority.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    The last couple years, Iíve really gotten to love using a midi-file for my sequence.

For example, the globes (on top of the trees) are all sequenced off a midi (in xLights):

https://youtu.be/eXRoVgieP_A

Here, the icicles are midi-driven:

https://youtu.be/GQ-8ukUpQ6c
    What version of The Sugar Plum Fairy is that?
    (1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1)Falcon F16V3
    (1)Renard SS16
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas
    Renard Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    I think ultimately getting to a point where we can read in a multi track midi file and convert it to marks and or effects is the end game we would like to get to. I think Jon was offering potential solutions you could use without the additional code enhancements we need to do to get to the more ideal solutions. Right now, those ideas are are going to be your best bet. I do want to work with folks interested in this type of workflow to build that out, but I am also gearing up for my show and my development cycles at least until the end of Nov will be limited and focused around bugs. I think there are a lot of interesting ideas being circulated here, so keep the thoughts coming. Several folks want this, and we have been talking about giving it more priority.
    Just to be extremely clear, I started the thread asking if there was a way to do this, and the response I got was basically no, not yet, but here's some workarounds for now, and we can work on this as a goal. I have no expectations that the Devs are going to be trying to program a new feature during Blinky "crunch time". Not to mention, I am aware of your Dev cycle timelines, which is to avoid feature changes or additions and stick to bug fixes in the last few months leading into showtime. The thread started as a "can I do this", then has shifted more towards a brainstorm/data gathering/ideas. So to that end, the specialty pedals that were mentioned are definitely an option, but definitely a very expensive option to replace a keyboard spacebar tap. I mention the hardware from the more or less abandoned music rhythm genre because you can get an ENTIRE midi drum kit with 6 inputs, direct input support to a pc through usb and existing drivers, but mostly, that genre was HUGE back in the day. EVERYONE had it, not just kids. Then, it suddenly died off, and there is huge amounts of abandoned drum sets for the various games in perfect condition gathering dust. You can get the entire set from a thrift store for $5-$10, and if they don't have it, guaranteed you can get one off craigslist for next to nothing. There would be more than enough stock to go around without having to worry about shipping costs or availability for any in our hobby. Not only that, but there is countless tutorials and hacks out there from people already figuring out how to use their sets as electronic drum kits via pc and other functions. I'm going to link to one such tutorial just for informational and data purposes https://www.reddit.com/r/GuitarHero/...o_drum_set_as/

Please note, he references a needed dongle. You really don't need it. Of the 4 platforms, xbox, ps3, wii and pc the hardware was made for, most of them can be connected via usb directly, or a cheap cable can be made (and quite frankly, people in our hobby are already custom building cables and electronics right? ). I'm happy to be a guinea pig for any testing or data the Vixen dev team would need or like to look into this matter. Just let me know what you need.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123