Thread: How would I do an effect like this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How would I do an effect like this?

Not sure if I'm just tired or what, but I've seen this kind of effect in many sequences, and I haven't found something that quite looked the same. It starts around 16 seconds, which, I could see just being a solid background color, with a chase or something set to mask and fill. But it's more so the second version around 27 seconds with no background color. I can start a chase and size it to be fairly small and then try to place them overlapping, but somehow it doesn't quite look right or as clean as this one I've seen in many places (it's the first example I could find). I'm mostly interested in the multicolor segments that have clean transitions between the colors instead of the gradient , and being able to have a bunch of very evenly spaced segments at the same speed. The few ways I have tried, starting the segments manually was very hard to get them to stay evenly apart. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How would I do an effect like this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Not sure if I'm just tired or what, but I've seen this kind of effect in many sequences, and I haven't found something that quite looked the same. It starts around 16 seconds, which, I could see just being a solid background color, with a chase or something set to mask and fill. But it's more so the second version around 27 seconds with no background color. I can start a chase and size it to be fairly small and then try to place them overlapping, but somehow it doesn't quite look right or as clean as this one I've seen in many places (it's the first example I could find). I'm mostly interested in the multicolor segments that have clean transitions between the colors instead of the gradient , and being able to have a bunch of very evenly spaced segments at the same speed. The few ways I have tried, starting the segments manually was very hard to get them to stay evenly apart. Any thoughts?
    Try the "Bars" effect, if I understand what you are looking at.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree, you should be able to use the Bars. You can use black as a color in Bars to create blank spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    I would agree, you should be able to use the Bars. You can use black as a color in Bars to create blank spots.
    I'm thinking after experimenting that you are probably correct. Or at the very least, it's close. I'm thinking part of the appeal was also that it seems quite smooth in it's movement while still being fairly slow. But I'm guessing that either they have closer pixel spacing or use strips in the examples I've seen, because with my bullets 3" spacing, each movement is noticeable as a step. Possibly also the 3d flag being used. Thanks gentlemen, I will tinker