Thread: Feedback?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Feedback?

More a request for feedback than showing off, but this looks like the right place to post. I'm hoping some of you can find the time to preview some of this and provide me with any thoughts you might have on how to make it better or more captivating for the viewers.

I inherited the Church Christmas Light Show this year. Never done this before... I started in August with a lot of research, lurking on the forums here, and trial and error. I used Vixen 3 for all the sequencing/shows/etc... Our goal is to tell the story of the gospel centered around Christmas, and at the same time keep the show entertaining so as not to lose interest.

I now have the following video captures from the Vixen Preview:
    6 sequenced songs that chronologically (sort of...) tell the story of the gospel centered around Christmas broken into 4 parts:
    Part 1 - The world crying out for a Savior
    1. O Come Emmanuel - Jeremy Camp (3:58)
    Part 2 - God came down/a Savior has been born
    2. Do you hear what I hear? -Johnny Mathis (3:18)
    3. What Child is This-Lauren Daigle (3:15)
    Part 3 - Announcement to the world of the Savior
    4. O come all ye faithful -Third Day (3:51)
    5. Joy to the world-Ella Fitzgerald (1:38)
    Part 4 - Jesus is God, the Cross
    6. Mary Did You Know? Pentatonix (3:23)

We'll add the Pastor's intro and closing remarks into the show, but basically I'm building 4 separate shows of 4 songs each with the Part 2 and 3 songs mixed (i.e., Show 1 is Songs 1,2,4,6; Show 2 is songs 1, 3, 5, 6 and so on). I have about a 40 sec filler sequence to pass time between shows. The idea is be able to schedule the start times and keep shows close to 15 minutes.

Equipment and props are pretty basic. I have a single Renard 64. We'll add to this next year. All the lights are simple LED mini light (M5) strings with exception of the spot lights. Those are also dimmable LED.

The "lightbox" in lower left of the previews actually looks like this:LightBox.jpg
    It's a simple box with 3 strings each of Red, Green, Blue that glow off the back wall.

The angels are not actually yellow, but they are a single element in the preview so they only get 1 color. The actually look like this:Angel.jpg

The 24 stars at the top are Boscoyo Studio Mini23s (23 inch coro that hold 200 mini lights each). Hopefully they get here in time for the show...

I'm hoping to start install November 1st.

Thanks for having a look and please let me know your thoughts!

Robbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Feedback?

FWIW. I watched song number 1. I know this is religious light show but it was too long for my tastes and too mellow to start. Cut it down to two minutes (last two minutes?). Weird blue star thing around 1:50 that I would change. Good job overall advancing and building the display to the ending.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! I'll check out the star thing. I've been looking for ways to add some flash to the beginning without distracting from the story. A fine line.... Might just need to find a different song to get that to work.

Hadn't though about song length at all, just show length. I've seen posts on here about people watching a show for 15 minutes or so, or 4-6 songs then moving on. Will definitely consider it though.

Post Thanks / Like

It's difficult to portray the Christmas Story in lights only.

The story itself is short (Luke 2:1-14 or 1-20 for the long version) and to do it through music really drags it out. My most successful attempt was after I'd made several wire frames outlined in rope light: several animals including a camel, a manger scene with more wire frames of Mary, Joseph, Jesus, three wise men, some led strobes mounted high up in a tree to simulate stars and a large, pulsating Bethehem star set back from the show on the roof. The audio I used was a recording of my church's choir singing Silent Night which quickly faded into the reading of the Christmas story by one of our pastors and the music faded back in to finish the scene. None of the regular blinky-flashy lights were used during the segment -- only those for the story. The whole thing was about 4 minutes long and I designed the whole show so the Christmas story repeated every half hour with normal Christmas carols and blinky-flashy in between. I set the segment off from the blinky stuff with a 10-second blackout of lights and audio on both ends. I watched the cars several times when that sequence was playing and I noticed that nobody drove off during the story. I think they needed/wanted to hear it again or maybe some, for the first time.

One suggestion: if you make a manger scene, don't use any straw. The wind blows it around and it's a nightmare to clean up.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Very insightful! Thanks!

We actually have nativity figures as plywood cutouts and I'm putting spotlights on them during the show. Using (trying to anyway...) the flashy lights to hold attention. I really like the format you're describing though. I may move towards something like that. You're spot on with the description of how it drags out in music.

Post Thanks / Like

Work in progress... O Come Emmanuel (v2). Not shortened, but more flashy lights.