Thread: Need Help - Make it Snow in Southern California

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help - Make it Snow in Southern California

Hello All,

I have been a long time fan and this is my first post. I am looking for some advice or solution to a project I am looking to fulfill. I would like to make it appear to snow in my yard. Unfortunately I live in Southern California and typically it is warm almost all year. I have searched for ideas but nothing that I feel I can use. I would like to find a way to have snow fall onto my grass and something I can replicate a few times per night (like hourly) and will not harm my grass as I have pets and kids.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Here is what I have currently. I start decorating the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need Help - Make it Snow in Southern California

I would recommend the chauvet SM250 snow machine. its a great little inexpensive (about $250 if i remember correctly) machine that isnt too loud (which probably isnt a real issue for you). I have been in stage doing SFX for a couple decades and i use these now almost exclusively. occasionally i will use a C02 (dry ice) machine if i want a specific look, and texture. these are great little cheap machines that are DMX (most falcon boards have DMX capabilities built right in and are easily configured) using only 1 channel. simply on or off. which makes it great if you want to program in a snow scene in your display. i have used as many as 6 in one small production. you can give them all the same address or daisy chained and controlled separately. i mount them in trees, and other places with some type of covering over the machine with vent holes (pointing down) and holes for the "snow" to come out. the higher up the device is the larger the spread will be, but it is VERY susceptible to wind. its best to keep these about 10-12' about your display.

be warned ahead of time: they use "snow juice" that can small bad if it over heats. it is non-toxic, but i wouldnt eat it or drink it. it tastes terrible. (or so ive heard).

there are several others out there, but these are what i have used for years with little issue. DO NOT LEAVE THEM in the rain. you will loose your DMX and computer control as the rain fries the control board. the heater coil will still work and you can always use the included remote/timer.

if your in So Cal, then Im sure you are familiar with KBF. i worked onstage there doing SFX lighting for 7 years, also in hollyweird for 4 years.

hope this helps
    all pix <70 univ)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need Help - Make it Snow in Southern California

Thank you for this. I will look into it and let everybody know how it goes.