Thread: Starting with Pixels (old vixen and lynx user!) Mega tree help!?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting with Pixels (old vixen and lynx user!) Mega tree help!?

I am getting back into the game this season (I hope!) Can someone help me on what my basic needs will be to do a mega tree with pixels?
    I used to do a 15' LED mega so know how to build etc, but would like to do a Pixel tree and need some guidance etc on where to get pixels, best controllers, etc......
    Really not sure where to start. Do you build your own controllers like the awesome Lynx controllers? (I loved building those and putting it all together!)

Thanks in advance for the advice, help etc!

Bryan
    Idaho

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starting with Pixels (old vixen and lynx user!) Mega tree help!?

I vote Falcon controller.

Driving pixels is much more compute intensive than single channel strings, driving the controller complexity up pretty high. High density FPGAs are the best way to get a lot of pixels out of a controller. Not something that is easily created at home. You would have a tough time doing this with a renard controller. However you could use the F16, E682, PixelStick or make your own Arduino (you would need several).

If you keep your pixel count down to 1200 pixels (25ms refresh rate) then you could use a Raspberry PI plus a Pixel PI hat.

My 15' 16 leg Mega tree has 1600 pixels. At 600 pixels / port it means I use at least 3 pixel ports (I actually use 8 ports, two legs per port).

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starting with Pixels (old vixen and lynx user!) Mega tree help!?

Quote Originally Posted by foodseller View Post
    I am getting back into the game this season (I hope!) Can someone help me on what my basic needs will be to do a mega tree with pixels?
    I used to do a 15' LED mega so know how to build etc, but would like to do a Pixel tree and need some guidance etc on where to get pixels, best controllers, etc......
    Really not sure where to start. Do you build your own controllers like the awesome Lynx controllers? (I loved building those and putting it all together!)

Thanks in advance for the advice, help etc!

Bryan
    Idaho
    Ready to go maybe what you require at this time of year .
    http://www.holidaycoro.com/EasyLight...rees-p/868.htm