Thread: WiFi Arduino 2560

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiFi Arduino 2560

I decided I wanted wifi control on my arduino but instead of the esp01 I bought the arduino with built in WiFi and having troubles.

1st I can not seem to get connected, when I try to upload anything the "L" light comes on activated a few relays and the TX light flickers for a second then nothing. The sketch times out and I get the error to check arduino troubleshooting guide

2nd anyone have a working code for wifi connect as communication? I am using ZParticle sketch to control 16 relays with Vixen3

I checked my com port, checked I am on for mega, checked processor using 2560 says no board connected using 1280 is when I get brief comms

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiFi Arduino 2560

Maybe this thread will help. The sketch was for WiFi via the ESP-01 but perhaps it will help get you where you need to be.

doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?47531-Success-Modifying-VictorPV-Sketch-to-Accept-Renard-Protocol-from-ESPixelstick/page3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LateraLiz View Post
    Maybe this thread will help. The sketch was for WiFi via the ESP-01 but perhaps it will help get you where you need to be.

doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?47531-Success-Modifying-VictorPV-Sketch-to-Accept-Renard-Protocol-from-ESPixelstick/page3
    It does not. I uploaded my sketch onto the arduino and it works fine as long as I am plugged in to my com port. What I need to do is program the ESP side so I don't have to have my laptop near by which is borderline impossible. I do not have a front house garage to store and set up everything so any electronics like a computer needs to be inside my house and that is a problem unless I figure out wifi or find a 30 foot usb cable

I was able to find enough information to flash the esp but after that ???? I can not find anything on how you actually set the arduino to an IP address or how to tell vixen thats the IP for a relay controller.

Post Thanks / Like

I used three of these USB extenders my first year to connect Arduino to computer. They worked well for me.
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...CABEgLuvfD_BwE
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

fixed my upload sequence problem had dip switches set wrong. Now if I can only get a way to upload for wifi. Tried using a program for epixel stick esp-01 but no go> I assume it has a different way because its built in or maybe how I did esp-01 was wrong not really finding too much info on this at all

Post Thanks / Like

where are you located? we might be able to talk on the phone to clear up some questions.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

https://robotdyn.com/mega-wifi-r3-at...micro-usb.html

here is the board but I really can't seem to make sense of the programming seems like there is missing information to me.
    below is my screen and thats as far as I got. I am missing the "upload sketch data"
    err.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the schematic of the board you purchased, it looks like they connect Tx and Rx to the MEGA or the CH3406 by a set of switches. The set of switches DO NOT CONNECT GPIO2 to the MEGA com ports. This is important because the ESPixelstick firmware uses GPIO2 as the output pin. So, you may be able to connect the GPIO2 output of the ESP8266 directly to pin 19 which is com port RX1.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike,

I purchased one of these MEGA 2560/ESP boards to play with because I thought it might be an alternative to my purchasing separate MEGA and ESP-01 boards and would make my setup a bit better.

I was able to load the MEGA section with the Victor_PV sketch and confirmed it my watching the random lighting of LEDs attached to the output pin connectors.
    I was able to load the ESP section with the ESPixilstick firmware and confirmed it by connecting to the ESPixilstick web interface from a web browser.
    I was NOT able to use the ESP on-board testing feature to turn on any LEDs.

I confirmed that the ESPixilstick firmware uses the ESP-01 GPIO2 pin for the output data stream. The 2560/ESP board does NOT connect GPIO2 to the correct serial port. I tried using a jumper cable to connect the GPIO2 output (available on a secondary connector on the 2560/ESP) to the correct serial port. It still did not work. The data stream may to be level shifted as is done on the ESPixilstick. I will try to add a level shifter and test it again in the next couple of days. I also ordered an external antenna for the 2560/ESP to see if it would help with the reception signal strength. The on-board antenna did not result in very good reception. While the external antenna did help, it was not any great improvement.

For me, I will likely continue to use standard MEGA 2560 boards along with standard ESP-01 modules because I have a shield design that already incorporates connections to my SSR boards and also incorporates the ESP-01 module.
    Last edited by kev; 12-10-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

I was able to get the MEGA 2560/ESP to work with the Victor_PV sketch that has been modified for Renard protocol. I was able to play a song from my Rpi/FPP running my Christmas light show and the MEGA 2560/ESP responded appropriately. I was able to get it all to work by following the steps below.

NOTE - this assumes that you have a functioning Wifi router configured to broadcast to ESP devices and that you have correctly configured the channel assignments in Vixen and in the ESP module.

1. - Set DIP switches 3 and 4 to ON, all others to OFF. Using the Arduino IDE, upload the Victor_PV modified for Renard sketch to the board. Close the Arduino IDE.
    2. - Set DIP switches 5, 6 and 7 to ON, all others to OFF. Launch the ESPixilstick firmware Flash toolfor version 3.0. Press the MODE button once (this places the ESP into programming mode). Using the Flash tool, enter the SSID of your Wifi network, enter the password for the Wifi network and then select UPLOAD. When complete, note the MAC address shown in the results window of the flash tool. (see attached photo)
    3. - Set ALL of the DIP switches to OFF.
    4. - Jumper pin 5 of J9 to GPIO-15 (RX3) (see attached photo)
    5. - Using a web browser, find the ESP device on you Wifi network by using the MAC address to identify it.
    6. - Run your show or test. You can test by using the Testing function of the ESPixilstick firmware that you loaded onto the board.

Hopefully I have described all of the steps correctly that have been successful for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kev; 12-10-2019 at 05:40 PM.
    Kevin