Thread: Steel roof --- lights placement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Steel roof --- lights placement

Ok , last year I simply passed on doing anything with it , but I would like to go back to my old layout which included some incan minis being run along the top of my garage roofs peak ( side to side) and then more a few feet lower ( between peak and bottom of truss where it overhangs the building . )
    Now , my question is ... Is there anyway possible of doing this without drilling holes into my new , steel roof ? The garage is 24 X 30 and the 30 foot length is the length that I am looking to do with lights . ( along the very top peak of the roof and then half way down for another run of lights )
    I thought possibly PVC and attach the minis to it and drag that across the top ? But , am hoping someone else has a better idea ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Steel roof --- lights placement

You can create a ridgeline using most any material. My neighbor (non-DIYC, but a good guy nonetheless) has a 1/2" PVC pipe, with 90 degree 4-way tees every 6 or 7 feet. (His C9 bulbs are zip tied to the main PVC.) The tees have about 12 inches of pipe sticking down on both sides of the ridge. The most he does is puts a sandbag at each end, and one in the middle. The pipe and the sandbags are the color of his roof (also steel, btw). He put pins in to hold the pieces together (breaks down in to 10 foot sections, for storage.)

An example of the tees he uses can be found here: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Formufit...WH-4/205749309

No holes, easy to setup, and it has stood up there in some hellatious (sp?) winds. In some ways I'm jealous that I didn't think of it first.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you .. thats kinda the idea I was thinking about .....

Post Thanks / Like

you could use regular T's one to go to the right and one to the left to match the angle of the roof.
    [2017] 32 Renard Channels, 3360 LED Lights
    [2018] 208 Renard Channels, 13240 LED Lights, 2 projectors, and one donkey

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about a standing seem roof? If so there are clamps that will clamp to the standing seems. I believe the guy that did a post on them got them off amazin. He used a rubber bushing in between to keep the paint from being scratched.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW - just checked with him, his tees are every 5 feet. His roof pitch on both sides allows him to use the 90 version. His peek isn't quite 90 degrees, but it is close enough that the PVC sits on both sides of the peak without problem. His shingles are the ones that look like regular shingles, but are in fact asphalt covered steel.

Hope this, and the stuff the others have said, gives you ideas how to handle it.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

When I think steel and temporary mounting, magnets come to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    When I think steel and temporary mounting, magnets come to mind.
    Would have to be some pretty heavy duty magnets. The asphalt covering, which really protects the steel shingles from stuff like hail is pretty thick.
    You also have the disparity of angle. But, I too believe they would work.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Here ya go, easy to modify for what ya need

https://www.rapidmaterials.com/S-5-S...kaAv20EALw_wcB

Post Thanks / Like

If a standing seam, why not use cheap office supply clips that you use to hold papers together?