Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help setting up E682

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help setting up E682

Thanks in advance to any and all that help me out. I am sure you guys have your own displays that you are taking time out of to help me.

I am new to all this, I have been purchasing things for a display for a couple years now, and have been playing a bit. But not set anything up..... hopefully this year.

I am having trouble understanding the setup of the E682 for my purpose. I did ask questions on here last year, and got some advise, but now that it is time to try to finish this, i don't know what I am doing.

I have 2 E682's, but for this thread, let's just work on one. I have a element (singing light bulbs) which I made myself. no patterns to go off of. Each bulb has 195 pixels. I have wired each bulb separate. At least for the time being I want to use one E682 to run just this element and nothing else. so, here's what I don't know:

I understand that 195 pixels equals 585 channels. but there's 510 channels in a universe. I was told that the universes will spill over into the next as needed. So the extra 85 channels will start in universe 2. What I don't understand is how to set up the E682 to make this happen.
    Also,I think I want each bulb to run from one of each of the 4 outputs on the E682. 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1. I am not sure if I set up the E682 correctly to do that.

Here's how I have the set up. Please tell if it is correct, or what changes I have to make and why, so I can understand for the future.

Capture.jpg

Thanks

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help setting up E682

As an owner with 13 or so Sandevice controllers in my show, I would strongly recommend upgrading to version 5.X firmware, so you can set outputs individually.

In concept, you are correct in your understanding of universes spilling over, but in practice, I wouldn't set it up this way with attempting sequential universes for the other props.

For the 1st bulb prop, just use Universes 1 & 2. Then for the 2nd bulb, start with Universe 3, which will spill over to 4. Then set 3rd bulb up a Universe 5, which spills over to 6, and finally, bulb 4, starts on Universe 7.

The way you have this set up is you will use 4 of all the 16 available outputs for your intended purpose, which will be much clearer to you once you get the 5.x FW installed. But there may be a reason to use some of the other ports...

Finally, confirm you are using 4-wire WS2801 pixels, as that is what you have defined there. Could be accurately set, but please confirm, in general, most folks are using a 3 wire pixel type.

Going back to the practical side of power...while you may be able to actually run 195 pixels off a single port, its not been my experience. Typically, I can only effectively run a string of 100 pixels without power issues. So you'll need to look into power injection, or using a string of 100 and a 2nd string of 95 for a single bulb prop. That's where the other ports on the controller can be helpful...

Post Thanks / Like

iflights,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have tried to update the firmware on the board. It always times out, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Having said that I am only using the "update firmware" button on the top of the screen for the board. I know it is talking to the board as I was able to change the IP address. I am currently on version 4.078.

Capture.PNG

I am not sure how to set up to have the first bulb use universe 1 and 2. Please help. (or do I need the firmware 5.X to do this??)

Yes, I did have the wrong type of pixel in the outputs, so thank-you for that.

I have included power injection every 50 pixels on each bulb. Because it is somewhat compact, it was easy to do. At this time, I have not plugged them in yet until I get the controller figured out.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to get the firmware updated.

So, is this what the output page should look like for my application??

Capture.jpg
    Last edited by bcer960; 10-20-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have it set up fine, EXCEPT, what's with all the numeric values in the Null Pixel column. Those should all be zero.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't put them there, they showed up. I will change them to zero's,

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

These were remnants as part of the upgrade process. There were 3 system commands that were needed to clear stuff out on the 5.X thread.

As a housekeeping measure, there's "3" in the zigs/then every field. That should be set to zero.

You know, while it will work fine as you have set it up, you don't have to spread out your strings across the outputs like you have. Outputs 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 can handle your set up, just configure 1-2, exactly like 2-1, configure 1-3 exactly like 3-1, and configure 1-4, exactly like 4-1. (I noticed that the color order on 4-1 is not RGB, you'll want to correct that). That leaves the remaining outputs available for future expansion.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank-you for that, I have made the changes.

Can I ask what the address chan(nel) is for?? mine are all set to 1, when would ever change it to something else??

Post Thanks / Like

There are conditions where you may need a universe to start on a channel different than 1. I've never run into that situation in 7 years. I like to keep it simple and straightforward, although there are some who want to try to get the full 6000 channels out of the controller...Success for me is never have to debug or fix the display once set up, so adding needless complexity is a bad thing.

Post Thanks / Like

thank-you again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast