Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part of a string lights up full white as soon as power applied

Post Thanks / Like

Default Part of a string lights up full white as soon as power applied

Can someone remind me what the cause of this is typically? I have a pixel star with 90 pixels. One row of 20 on the inside track, 30 in the middle and 40 around the outside. As soon as I apply power to the star via the e682, the entire outer ring of pixels is turned on solid white seemingly full power, but the inside stays dark. If I start to run test patterns from the e682, all the inner pixels play the patterns without issue, but the outer ring again, reminds full white. Sending a stop command for all the pixels stops only those inner ones, the outer ring stays lit fully. Bringing it in to vixen, same thing. The outer ring is still full white, but the playback from vixen is fine on the 2 inner rings. The fact that it is on full white the moment I apply power even if there is no sequence or test pattern tells me it's something other than config, that and the fact that even if I'm playing back something it doesn't over write the white. The white pixels kicked in when powered before I had even assigned the universes and quantity as well. It's setup as a spiral going outwards from the inside and currently terminates on separated but insulated wires where the pixels were cut, so they shouldn't be exposed. I've looked closely at the pixels, especially where it seems to begin, and they all look fine with good connections, no flickering. I have them power injected at the 45 pixel park. 5v ws2811.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Part of a string lights up full white as soon as power applied

123-24-2.jpg
    It's not the holiday coro star pictured, but it gave me the idea and has a similar layout as far as pixel numbers (spacing layout is different)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a data problem, usually pixels will turn pure white if the pixel before it doesn't send the data onward to the next pixel. I had the same problem with a strip of Neon pixels. If i took the 1st strip and attached it to second, the 2nd strip would turn pure white, If I reversed them it all worked fine. In the end I used that bad strip as last arch and all was fine.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, it sounds like the data signal is not getting to that section of the lights, either the set up on the output on the e682 doesn't have enough pixels assigned to it, or its the wiring itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little_b View Post
    I agree, it sounds like the data signal is not getting to that section of the lights, either the set up on the output on the e682 doesn't have enough pixels assigned to it, or its the wiring itself.
    I thought of that as well, but it lit up instantly when it didn't have enough pixels assigned, but even after fixing it and restarting everything, same situation. So in theory, if I had a string that's fine for a bit, and then at one point between pixels the +/- are connected fine, but the data has either a poor connection or isn't connected, the pixels beyond that point would light up white?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    I thought of that as well, but it lit up instantly when it didn't have enough pixels assigned, but even after fixing it and restarting everything, same situation. So in theory, if I had a string that's fine for a bit, and then at one point between pixels the +/- are connected fine, but the data has either a poor connection or isn't connected, the pixels beyond that point would light up white?
    It doesn't necessarily mean your data wiring is bad, it could be a "stuck pixel". That pixel doesn't pass the data on to the next one and causes the pixels thereafter to turn white. Replace that pixel and all could be fine....
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

If the whole strand worked fine at one point then stopped, I'd agree with DrNeutron that you now have a bad pixel. Swapping it out should do the trick. As far as the strand turning all white, I've seen it both ways with mine. Sometimes they don't turn on at all, sometimes turn on all white, and sometimes just a single color. This means the power is fine, just the data signal is faulty. Try changing out the pixel right in front of the start of the white pixels. If that doesn't work try changing the first white pixel as well. There's no definite way to test which one is the problem. Could be the signal is not getting sent out of the last working one, or the signal is just not getting in on the first not working one.

Post Thanks / Like

Odd. After numerous power on's and offs and the issue remaining the same, suddenly, when I plug it in, that same outer ring of pixels lights up white with the rest not lighting up at all, but it then shuts the lights off until a test signal is sent from the controller or vixen. Problem solved right? Not quite. Depending on the effect, those exact same pixels that were weird before will sometimes flicker or, every single one of those particular pixels will be different color. And I don't mean wrong color order or a transition from one white to a pink color like you'd see with power drop. If I put on full white, the entire string is well lit, and then it's a sudden transition to... Not a dimmer or pink color like typical voltage drop, but it's like it displays a warm white vs a blue white. It's power injected at the 50 pixel mark out of 90. Oddly, if I measure power at the injection point and the controller bus screws, I'm reading 5v, but a mere 40 pixels later at the end I'm only reading 3.81 which would explain some issues. But they are 20awg 5v ws2811 3" spaces pixels. Even if the worst case scenario of 24 awg pixels with a longer injection wire was present, the voltage should not have dropped below around 4.2v according to the injection calculator.

Would a bad connection or something still allow the pixels to function normally in some cases or a wrong color, but somehow reduce the voltage significantly?
    Last edited by XmasinVancouver; 10-27-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Which e682 firmware ver. do you have installed ?
    Also what value resistor array ?

Post Thanks / Like

V5. 030. The " beta". Doesn't happen with other strings so far

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast