Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I request some better pictures or examples of j channel jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I request some better pictures or examples of j channel jigs?

I've seen a few pictures of the jigs people built to drill out j channel accurately for mounting pixels. I got the gist of the idea... Some form of peg/dowel etc to hold the previous hole the desired spacing from your drill point, but the pictures were from weird angles. Anybody willing to post some better ones and/or a description of the jig build?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I request some better pictures or examples of j channel jigs?

I used a 10 2x4 with a channel cut into it and a dowel spaced from the drill bit. Mounted on my drill press. I have a full size floor standing one which made it easier. I would suggest using a step drill bit. Conventional drill bits tend to break the vinyl occasionally. I had no issues with the step bits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pictures of my jig. My spacing was 6 inches. I used a cable TV connector instead of a dowel. It fit perfectly. I also used a step drill. Worked like a dream. 2687A90B-D7F0-42E2-892A-DDFB296ED941.jpg90FFAA1A-E060-44DE-8B5B-DC49696F73E6.jpg2852F3D1-CC40-497B-9165-0D49FC1CDE28.jpg
    Let me know if you want to see more pictures. I have other angles.

Post Thanks / Like

I used my 3D printer. Printed two blocks with center pins and one with a hole. Since they were 2 inch square I could mark the centers of each block. This allowed me to put all three on a center line and then space them out as needed. I used 3 inches spacing on my j-channels. On the side I put a vertical board that was used to center the holes in the channel. I could then press the channel to the back, line up the first hole 1.5 inches drill it out. put that hole on the first peg and drill. Then I can put the first two holes to make sure the spacing was correct and straight and drill the next hole. When I was done, I left 1.5" of j-channel at the end. This way the pieces could sit side by side and my 3 inch spacing is maintained from one piece to the next. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mikeh65; 10-18-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh65 View Post
    I used my 3D printer. Printed two blocks with center pins and one with a hole. Since they were 2 inch square I could mark the centers of each block. This allowed me to put all three on a center line and then space them out as needed. I used 3 inches spacing on my j-channels. On the side I put a vertical board that was used to center the holes in the channel. I could then press the channel to the back, line up the first hole 1.5 inches drill it out. put that hole on the first peg and drill. Then I can put the first two holes to make sure the spacing was correct and straight and drill the next hole. When I was done, I left 1.5" of j-channel at the end. This way the pieces could sit side by side and my 3 inch spacing is maintained from one piece to the next. Hope this helps.
    Is that coroplast you are using before the blocks to keep it straight?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_nj View Post
    Here are some pictures of my jig. My spacing was 6 inches. I used a cable TV connector instead of a dowel. It fit perfectly. I also used a step drill. Worked like a dream. 2687A90B-D7F0-42E2-892A-DDFB296ED941.jpg90FFAA1A-E060-44DE-8B5B-DC49696F73E6.jpg2852F3D1-CC40-497B-9165-0D49FC1CDE28.jpg
    Let me know if you want to see more pictures. I have other angles.
    Lol, I think we have the same drill press. If it's not too much trouble, do you have any other angles?

Post Thanks / Like

20191019_195133_001.jpg

Cant figure out how to add more than one pic. All scrap wood and a dowel. Inside does j-channel, outside does c-channel.
    2012 - 12 Channels and an Arduino

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmcgee5 View Post
    20191019_195133_001.jpg

Cant figure out how to add more than one pic. All scrap wood and a dowel. Inside does j-channel, outside does c-channel.

Can I assume you would be having the pixel hold side of the j channel face down in that situation? So that the short and long side point vertically?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Lol, I think we have the same drill press. If it's not too much trouble, do you have any other angles?
    Sorry, I don’t have any with the drill press. I do have others with pixels installed in the j channel and hanging on my house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Is that coroplast you are using before the blocks to keep it straight?
    It was a left over wedge of wood I had.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast