Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for method/materials for labeling conductors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suggestions for method/materials for labeling conductors

I've got way too many label makers at the shop.

I've got a few of the older brady models that were dot matrix based. Aside from the batteries that don't last long, they make awesome labels on anything from self laminating labels, to heat shrink tubes. I believe they were about $800 when they were new. looks like the BMP61 is the closest current model.

I also have one of the BMP21 models. I'm not a big fan of that one.

On the Dymo side, their Rhino series is decent. I've got an older version of the 4200 type. I'm pretty sure it's the nylon labels that work the best. They also have heat shrink tubing cartridges that work well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    The other way to use the P-Touch is to make flag labels instead of wrapping around the wire. instead of coiling around the wire, put the center of the label on the wire and bring both sides together on the other side forming a flag. This puts the adhesive sides of both ends together and ends up holding rather well. The only down side is that the flags aren't the neatest thing when managing the wires. But it does allow you to use a bigger font so they're easier to read.
    This is my way of labeling for the past 4 years. All my flags are holding up extremely well. Works much better than trying to label the connectors themselves.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the P touch flag method- have used it extensively for work, holds up well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ags0000 View Post
    Do you do anything to keep them attached? (e.g. in harsh outdoor environment, indoor storage heat, over multiple seasons of use?) Looks promising.
    Genreally they hold well, but occasionally I will have one that curls up a little. I've found that some quality packing tape works.

Post Thanks / Like

I found some 4:1 shrink ratio clear glue lined heatshrink on ebay that was just big enough to go over the connector on some installed pigtails that was still able to shrink down onto the round 3core cable. Can check size when home.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a plastic based no tear paper and laser print, then affix with clear heat shrink.
    In Lights Therapy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12