Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FPP Channel Outputs Setup Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default FPP Channel Outputs Setup Question

This is my first year working with FPP and Raspberry Pi's. Last year I had my show all working with a Ubiquiti Nano AP with a Linksys Router, and all the controllers using ESP8266. This year I am adding a 2 sided 1X2 P10 Matrix Tune To sign. My plan is to have the main show running on a RPi 3B+ and the sign on a RPi Zero W. The 3B will be connected to the router and then the Zero of course will be WiFi. My understanding is that I set these up as a Master/Remote. So now that I have given a description of my setup. From reading the FPP manual I am confused about about the channel output setup. My show Pi will have 14 universes. Should it also include the Matrix universes or just the lights it is controlling directly? My sequences are exports from Vixen V3.6u2. I have 2 sequences for each song. One for the lights and one for the sign (marquee of the song name along with the FM station). My show project has the matrix addressed as well as the show. The sign project is just the matrix. Currently I have the show pi set up with all 26 universes. Thanks for the help.
    Dave-800Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP Channel Outputs Setup Question

I put the entire show onto each PI and then configure each PI to output a specific set of channels. The Master/Remote works by sending synch packets to the remotes (among other things). These sync packets tell the Remote PIs where the master is in the sequence (AKA I am going to play time slice 3256 in 1 second). The remote PIs use that information to output their data from the sequence at the right moment. FYI: WiFi adds delay to this process so your sign may be a bit behind.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

By "I put the entire show onto each PI" are you saying that I messed up making a lights only sequence and a matrix only sequence. Therefore, I need to go set up the elements for my tune to sign in the main sequence and copy the effects over to it and put that sequence in both PI's playlist?

I figured there could be a little delay but even 250ms or up to 1 second delay is fine since all the sign is doing is the song title as a marquee on the first line and the Tune To 88.1 FM on the second line. As long as the latency doesn't grow over time it will be fine. I just don't want to go back to running CAT5 cables in my yard since I got rid of all of those last year.
    Last edited by davdue; 10-15-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    Dave-800Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Youíre fine to have separate sequence files for the different parts of the display. Thatís more efficient from a file size standpoint. Thereís no point in making the FPP read all that data from the channels it doesnít need. In most cases though it doesnít hurt either. You just need to know where in the sequence file the start channels are so you can set up the outputs on each FPP appropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    You’re fine to have separate sequence files for the different parts of the display. That’s more efficient from a file size standpoint. There’s no point in making the FPP read all that data from the channels it doesn’t need. In most cases though it doesn’t hurt either. You just need to know where in the sequence file the start channels are so you can set up the outputs on each FPP appropriately.

Thanks that saves me a lot of work. Another question. what if anything do I do with the .json file that is exported with the fseq file from Vixen?
    Dave-800Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davdue View Post
    Thanks that saves me a lot of work. Another question. what if anything do I do with the .json file that is exported with the fseq file from Vixen?
    That should be the universeOutputs.json file (or something like that). Thatís the FPP output configuration file. If you use that file from the vixen export and overwrite the one already on the FPP, it will automatically configure the universe outputs on the FPP for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davdue View Post
    By "I put the entire show onto each PI" are you saying that I messed up making a lights only sequence and a matrix only sequence. Therefore, I need to go set up the elements for my tune to sign in the main sequence and copy the effects over to it and put that sequence in both PI's playlist?

I figured there could be a little delay but even 250ms or up to 1 second delay is fine since all the sign is doing is the song title as a marquee on the first line and the Tune To 88.1 FM on the second line. As long as the latency doesn't grow over time it will be fine. I just don't want to go back to running CAT5 cables in my yard since I got rid of all of those last year.
    No You are good. If the PIs do not need to be in sync (they are playing separate sequences) then you don't need master or slave, they can both be stand alone. My Matrix is in sync with my music (Tune to and music title) so the matrix is part of my main sequence.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    That should be the universeOutputs.json file (or something like that). That’s the FPP output configuration file. If you use that file from the vixen export and overwrite the one already on the FPP, it will automatically configure the universe outputs on the FPP for you.

Jon, I am starting to get my FPP setup for the first time also. One of the areas I'm struggling with is getting the channel Output on the Pi lines up with what I have in Vixen. I use three E1.31 bridges. If I am understanding you right. If I get Vixen configured/patched correctly, I can use the exported .json file to setup FPP the same? That would be great, can you point me to the instructions for that?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

davdue, use Master/Remote. I doing just what you stated. config your show with FPP on master. Verify your second sequence for the Tune To: is the same size as the Show Sequence.....down to the fraction of a second. just load that second file with the SAME name onto the remote. All should work, and you shouldn't notice any delays.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

mikeh65, just copy the co-universes.json file into your Fpp3\fpp\config directory.
    I do it in windows file explorer. Open the file explores, select network, click on FPP, select directory.
    In Lights Therapy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast