Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Cable and a Pulley... my version of a Mega Tree Pole

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Cable and a Pulley... my version of a Mega Tree Pole

Hello, this is my first year of putting up a mega pole and I wanted to share my version of the telescoping pole. I have a welder but you could just bolt on the parts instead if welding.

I liked the ASAP pole idea, but didn't want to have to stop and add on to my push pole to obtain the full height of the pole so I added a pulley to the top of the 2" rigid pipe and ran a stainless steel cable down to the crank. My pole starts off at 10' high and will crank up to 18' with out any stopping. I added a 2' extension to the top to get a full 20' tree and was able to easily attach my lights to the hook head off a ladder and then crank everything to the full height.

I made a permanent base for the tree instead of a portable hole. My base consists of a 5' deep, by 12" wide hole in the ground and 600# of concrete! I put a PVC pipe into the concrete and have a green painted screw on cap flush with the ground so when the pole is not in use it hides in the grass and no one knows it's there.

I added four guide wires by pounding some 20" long angle irons into the ground. The pole is so stout that I was able to put a ladder against it and climb up to 15'.

The finished tree has 96 one hundred count strands of lights and will run off two 16 channel Renard controllers. The total rig will take about 32 amps when it's fully lit. I have two 20 amp outlets dedicated for it so it shouldn't have any issues.

Let me know what you guys think,
    Dale P.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaleP; 11-15-2017 at 05:36 PM.

2. Thanks kk6ou thanked for this post
    Likes JELJ1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A Cable and a Pulley... my version of a Mega Tree Pole

Pictures of the base. I used a 12" Sono tube and the hole was dug 5' deep. I even added a few pieces of rebar that I had laying around.

If I ever decide that I don't need the base any more I will simply cut the PVC pipe off flush with the concrete and put dirt over it. Someone else can deal with it someday, lol.

Dale P.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Likes JELJ1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaleP View Post
    Pictures of the base. I used a 12" Sono tube and the hole was dug 5' deep.
    Dale P.
    Hi, spot on what I was taught. 4 up 1 down, so 20 ft up and 5ft down.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering if there's a way to do this without the concrete. My pole will be smack dab in the middle of the leeching field for my septic system, so I cannot really dig anything out. But I'm wondering if there's a way to drive some capped-off PVC into the ground in the warm weather and then let the ground freeze around it. Alternatively, instead of a portable hole I'm considering guy wires from the top to my house and two adjacent trees to keep it from toppling over.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess it depends on when your ground freezes. I'm in Wisconsin and the frost isn't very far into the ground yet.

Dale P.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you provide more detail on those clamps you are using to secure the winch? What are they meant for? What are they called? Why did you use them instead of standard 'U' clamps (as they have at Home Depot). I think I might need to do something similar. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The clamps are muffler clamps from the Automotive store. U clamps would work, but don't have the back side to them like muffler clamps do. There is a space between the crank and 2" ridged pole so the 1" push pole can move in between when cranking the tree up and down. Just google ASAP Mega tree and you can find instructions on how to make this set up. There are YouTube videos about it too. I took the idea and changed it up a bit by adding a pulley to the top and a cable where the original plan uses a strap winch and connects to the bottom of the push pole causing you have to stop a few times and add on to the push pole.

Dale P.

10. Thanks ags0000 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I see - you're using two of the muffler clamp backing plates, two threaded rods and four nuts to clamp the pipe and hold the winch away. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experiences on mega trees, it is my opinion that a hole is not needed.

1. It only allows you to erect the pole in one place, what if you want to move it? Another hole.
    2. A good base anchored with stacks will do the same thing.
    3. The weight of the light strings, pole and accessories will keep the base in place. Wind is not a factor, the base will not move, the top of the pole will be affected by wind.
    4. Support wires will help on stabilizing the tree from wind and tipping over.
    5. I have used the JUMP for several years without any support wires and never had it fail on me.

http://www.magicchristmas.org/monkhouse-jump.html

Just my experience.
    Inventor of the "LED Keeper"

My Videos [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry"]www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I agree, the hole is WAY over kill! I had the concrete sitting in the garage left over from another project and wanted to burn them up before they got hard. Plus my tree is on a slight hill and I didn't want to have to mess around with trying to level a portable hole.

My front yard sees a lot of wind so I wanted to make sure I didn't have any issues and added the four guide cables. Are they needed???? Perhaps not, but to me not having to worry about the tree breaking at the base was worth the little investment. If you think about it the 2" ridged pipe isn't very strong at the threaded ends and could possibly break there. I might go down to three guide wires next year though.

Are you still using your jump pole with a jack, or did you modify it for a winch? The cable and pulley on mine lets me crank it up and down non stop which makes it really fast to put up.

Dale P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast