Thread: Power Injection Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power Injection Help

Good Evening,

I have done power injection before so I am familiar with the basics. My question, is whether I can use 1 line from a secondary power supply to power inject multiple strands.

What I have is a matrix and I am running 300 pixels per universe and 10 universes. So I am coming into each universe from the main controller. I plan to power inject at pixel 101 and pixel 201. From my secondary power supply do I need to run separate wires to each power injection point, or can I run the wire to 101, split it with a tee and continue it to 201. Can I then continue this to the other universes for power injection as well or do I need separate lines to each power injection point?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power Injection Help

I think that really depends on the gauge (I.e., current rating) of the wire you’re planning to use.

And then figure out the current that each injection-point needs to supply.
    Last edited by Bwinter; 10-12-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Power Injection Help

I would run a single 12 gauge line from the PSU into a distro board (or a terminal block with marine fuses on the downstream) then two separate lines out to 101 and 201. Running them straight off the PSU doesn’t allow for proper fusing. This assumes the PSU is set some distance from the matrix. If the PSU is near the prop, you could connect the fuses to the PSU and run the lines off of those fuses connections.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Lemme get this straight. 10 universes of 300 pixels each? 3000 pixels total? 180 amps? At what voltage? Are the strands already setup with power injection?

If 5v pixels @ 300 per string - 6 injection points. If 12v pixels @ 300 per string - 3 injection points. Lastly - include the end so both are PLUS ONE.

300 pixels = 18A #12 wire is the minimum for voltage drop in a daisy chained configuration. 10 power supplies @ 30A. I do not use GENERIC power supplies at more than 80% total output. They usually take a crap if run @ >80% for too long.

Depending how you are planning on injecting power is a deciding factor in wire size. Daisy chained = heavier wire. Point to power supply = smaller wire.

From what I see, you will need a bank of power supplies. I use 3 100A 5v supplies (1 redundant) and a 12v 200A tandem supply (designed to be paralleled) - sit in the yard in a box with #6 cables feeding props and controllers.

The one variable missing is the voltage of the pixels.
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get stuck on power flow in one direction. Center feed injection can be more efficient and easier to wire. Food for thought; 4 point injection over 6 point - Sketch below....red is power flow.

Injection.PNG
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_Mixer View Post
    Hi,

Lemme get this straight. 10 universes of 300 pixels each? 3000 pixels total?
    A universe can only send data to 170.667 pixels. You cannot have 300 pixels in a universe. 100 pixels would be 300 channels which a single universe can supply.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    Don't get stuck on power flow in one direction. Center feed injection can be more efficient and easier to wire. Food for thought; 4 point injection over 6 point - Sketch below....red is power flow.

Injection.PNG
    YES! Wow how I forget stuff. Injecting them @ 100 or 50 pixels in the center could effectively eliminate other points. Good reminder!
    Last edited by RGB_Mixer; 10-23-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    -Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    A universe can only send data to 170.667 pixels. You cannot have 300 pixels in a universe. 100 pixels would be 300 channels which a single universe can supply.
    Ahhhh - nice catch Martin. I missed that completely.
    -Eddie