Thread: My 1st Attempt: "The Santa Project"

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 1st Attempt: "The Santa Project"

Disclaimer: I am terribly inexperienced at building things and working with my hands on projects like these. There is a lot I could've done better, but this was a great learning experience.

I had an idea to attach the shaft of a small motor like this one to a sprocket like this one. The motor is only 5 RPM but at $15 and me being a rookie I figured it was a good place to start.

Here is a vid of the motor shaft turning the sprocket. So far so good.

My plan was to use this motor/sprocket to power a chain that would have Santa & his reindeer "fly" from right to left a the top of a scene, and then disappear behind houses & mountains at the bottom of the scene as it returned from left to right.

Once I made my "box", I put the motor/sprocket, chain, and "pivot points" into place:
    sp2018.jpg

After that I just did the scenery, added some fake snow from Michael's Crafts blown around by a (too large and noisy but nevertheless effective) fan only partially hidden by the scenery.

Here was the final result: LINK

2 biggest problems I had with it: Santa moves way too slowly (the 5 RPM motor was the mistake there), and even though I tried to waterproof it, water still got in after heavy rains.

On the positive side, I learned a lot and the kids thought it was the greatest thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My 1st Attempt: "The Santa Project"

I like the final version, looks really nice. Especially the snow part of it

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My 1st Attempt: "The Santa Project"

Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]