Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pixel wiring and grounds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pixel wiring and grounds

Quote Originally Posted by Starsman20 View Post
    Martin thanks for the suggestion. The between the bubbles is the top of the tree. I was trying to keep them to the bottom. I do see if I rearrange a bit I could do it like this pic.
    yup. That limits the distance between injection point and last pixel getting power from that injection point. FYI: There are no hard and fast rules and permutations of this concept work as well. Feel free to explore options that make sense for you and reduce wire clutter.

FYI: Each of the legs on my tree have 100 pixels @ 2" spacing and I provide power from the bottom. A 16AWG power run goes from the PSU, up the leg in parallel to the pixels and injects every 25 pixels. Works for me, overkill for others. My wires never get hot and the only pink pixels are those that came from a different vendor.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any need to terminate the data line? I connected the grounds tonight and the issues I was having are all gone. But there is a new one. The very last pixel in both of the 368 long strings is on all the time, one greenish and the other pinkish.. Voltage right at both pixels is around 10.5. They both have the output data line just hanging. The problem is not on the 96 pixel center string and star. It's like no data is getting to them, they both light up when power is applied to the system. Neither the ground nor the power is connected at the end of the strings either. Do I need to ground the last pixel and if so where would that go without creating a loop?

after a bit more testing I have learned that the output channels 1102 to 1104 are not turning on the last pixel as they should. If I add an extra pixel to the string in the output 369 vs 368 then it works. I do not think that is right.
    For the first string The setup is 368 pixels on 1104 channels. I am testing directly out of FPP. channels 1102 to 1104 do not turn the last pixel on, but if I add three channels (1105 to to 1107) then 1102 to 1104 do turn on the last pixel. just when I thought I might have it aaaahhhhhh.

next update: grounding the last pixel did not help

Ok final update. I can be an idiot sometimes. on channel 16 I had copied the star data and had not removed it. IT was using the same channels. Complete software bungle. Its all working now.
    Last edited by Starsman20; 10-09-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a null pixel that is supposed to be in the string?
    Most times this turns out to be a patching issue.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to draw up how I was wiring it a bit better so I would have a record of what I am doing and swap out the 360W power supplies for the 750's. I figured out that 1 of the large supplies was enough for the tree and the star. In the drawings it shows a bus wire for the grounds but they are all wired back to the terminal block. The wiring from the PS to the 1 terminals is 12ga. Everything else is 16 to the pixels, which are 20. It was going to take a bunch more time to swap the injection points to the middle from the ends so I just left those. Are there any flaws in how I have done this? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

If that thick wire at the up/down point is v- plus D then it looks good

Post Thanks / Like

Looks ok to me. AutoCad I see. I need to import mine to AutoCad. I too use a 750w server supply. 24 strings of 50 pixels, 6 injection points, 4 ports, 290 node star. Just another way. Good luck! A1-6 are injection points, D1-D3 are data, D4 for star not shown.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aknflyer; 10-13-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll share my sketch....I think it was a rainy day, and the family was out and about....and no football. Too much detail.

In this design I have no pixel strand connecting to anything longer than a Pigtail. This eliminate voltage drop.

Box is mounted at top of tree, under top plate - I need to tilt tree to access box, but tree is built to be self contain, moveable and tilts with a little assistance. 2 - years and no need to access during show.

Mega 3 Line.jpg

Here is my pigtail/power distribution box
    Patching Box.PNG

Just another way or doing things.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    If that thick wire at the up/down point is v- plus D then it looks good
    It is. looks like 1 on the pic but it is 2, V- and D. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123