Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pixel wiring and grounds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pixel wiring and grounds

Quote Originally Posted by Starsman20 View Post
    The way it is currently is I am connecting both the pos and neg at the injection point, I am not however continuing the V+ nor V- through the injection point. It is more like 4 strings that are separate except for the data line. In the picture it is wired like the drawing without any of the red. I am going to connect a V- through along with the data and I am guessing that will solve it.
    You want the ground continous along the string, you do not want to break it. That will tie the grounds between different power supplies if you use them. Breaking the +V is fine but as long as it is coming from the same power supply it is not necessary. It is only when you inject from a different power source that you need to break the +V.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

The way it is currently is I am connecting both the pos and neg at the injection point, I am not however continuing the V+ nor V- through the injection point. It is more like 4 strings that are separate except for the data line. In the picture it is wired like the drawing without any of the red. I am going to connect a V- through along with the data and I am guessing that will solve it.
    I guess I do not see that way on your picture, with the big red X on the minus side of your injection point. Why the red X if it is not wired that way? Couldnt hurt to pass the ground all the way through though. What wire gauge are you using? Have you calculated the total current or watts for all strings and made sure it is under 80% of your power supply capacity?

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know what others are seeing, or do I not see something......
    I would connect both V+ & V- all the way thru the pixel string, connecting both V+ & V- injection as needed. No need to break since each run only has one PS. (No interconnection between runs.)
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 10-09-2019 at 01:34 AM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

For a single PSU setup: that is correct.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aknflyer View Post
    I guess I do not see that way on your picture, with the big red X on the minus side of your injection point. Why the red X if it is not wired that way? Couldnt hurt to pass the ground all the way through though. What wire gauge are you using? Have you calculated the total current or watts for all strings and made sure it is under 80% of your power supply capacity?
    drawing without the red stuff attached. this is how I originally wired it. This weeked I will add the ground all the way through. With the connector I am using it is easier to not add the V+ all the way through and If I add more supplies I think it should be that way anyhow.

I have calculated I need about 50 amps to run the tree. I have a 750W supply left over from my battle bot days that can supply around 65 so I should be OK there.

And if I understand the concept if I were to add multiple supplies it would be like image P3.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

One power supply there is no need to split the +,- or data. Multiple power supplies split the + and leave the - and data connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

drawing without the red stuff attached. this is how I originally wired it. This weeked I will add the ground all the way through. With the connector I am using it is easier to not add the V+ all the way through and If I add more supplies I think it should be that way anyhow.

I have calculated I need about 50 amps to run the tree. I have a 750W supply left over from my battle bot days that can supply around 65 so I should be OK there.

And if I understand the concept if I were to add multiple supplies it would be like image P3.
    Picture #2 will work. However, I have a few suggestions:
    • Inject power "between" the bubles. That way the longest run between the injection point is 48 pixels to the left and 48 pixels to the right. You have less voltage drop to your furthest pixel.
    • Breaking V+ for a single PSU installation is not really needed. While this does break power loops that can introduce noise, we do not have much of a sensitivity to such things in the Xmas lighting hobby.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Picture #2 will work. However, I have a few suggestions:
    • Inject power "between" the bubles. That way the longest run between the injection point is 48 pixels to the left and 48 pixels to the right. You have less voltage drop to your furthest pixel.
    • Breaking V+ for a single PSU installation is not really needed. While this does break power loops that can introduce noise, we do not have much of a sensitivity to such things in the Xmas lighting hobby.
    Martin thanks for the suggestion. The between the bubbles is the top of the tree. I was trying to keep them to the bottom. I do see if I rearrange a bit I could do it like this pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

We all do things differently, so I 'll share how I would do this wiring. This should give you the best power balance.

dwg1x.jpg
    dwg2x.jpg
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    We all do things differently, so I 'll share how I would do this wiring. This should give you the best power balance.

dwg1x.jpg
    dwg2x.jpg
    That actually works better with the up/down of the tree. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast