Thread: Enquiry about excluding one prop from an all props location based effect

Post Thanks / Like

Default Enquiry about excluding one prop from an all props location based effect

I have a couple of sequences with sections where I am using a wipe effect on a group that contains all the elements in the preview. However, I've come across a few sections where I need to achieve the same thing, but excluding one prop or a group of elements. For example, a burst wipe from center that affects everything EXCEPT for the 8 mini trees. This is because in that situation, the mini trees are playing the bass line from the song, and the wipe ruins it. Is there any way to achieve this other than having to create a whole new group with all the elements except for the minitrees? I've done this in the past for other situations, and now I have an almost too large element list of groups making it disorganized and hard to track which song was using what etc.... I had tried to use layers with something like the mask and fill, but because only a few of the mini trees in the group are activated at once, the wipe still affects the mini trees not currently lit with the sequence. I had also thought about adding an intensity layer to the mini trees group set to zero, thinking maybe that would block the wipe, and then placing my mini tree effects on top of that, but unless I did it wrong, that did not work either.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Enquiry about excluding one prop from an all props location based effect

Try putting the effects on the mini trees in a mask and fill layer where the wipe occurs. Put a set level with a level of zero in the same mask and fill on the mini trees as well. The Set level at zero will mask out the wipe in the quiet areas, and your bass track effects should show thorough. What happens is the set level at zero and you bass tracks being in the same mask and fill with mix in a highest wins fashion and there will be a constant masking that overlays the wipe.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Enquiry about excluding one prop from an all props location based effect

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    Try putting the effects on the mini trees in a mask and fill layer where the wipe occurs. Put a set level with a level of zero in the same mask and fill on the mini trees as well. The Set level at zero will mask out the wipe in the quiet areas, and your bass track effects should show thorough. What happens is the set level at zero and you bass tracks being in the same mask and fill with mix in a highest wins fashion and there will be a constant masking that overlays the wipe.
    This worked PERFECTLY! Thanks Jeff. For all the headache spent trying to figure this out, all it needed was the 0 intensity layer also set to mask and fill. I had tried this exact idea, of having a 0 value effect as a layer to block the wipe, and then thinking the mini tree effects could be on a layer higher in the stack, so that it would bypass the block, but it didn't quite work out the way this did. At least good to know I had the right workflow/theory in mind. LARGE PS for anyone who comes across this thread in the future with the same question: You MUST select configuration on the mask and fill layer tab, and UNCHECK "EXCLUDE ZERO VALUE" for this to work.