Thread: FPP Master/Remote Network

Post Thanks / Like

Default FPP Master/Remote Network

I'm looking to confirm my network setup in regards to the FPP Master/Remote config. Is it ok to have the Master communicate via Wifi to the AP and the Remote communicate to the AP via Ethernet. My AP is a UB Loco M2. I want to make sure the sync packets dont have to be on the same network/media.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP Master/Remote Network

Your AP is going to be doing "excess" routing but it should work (it is just software after all). Why three different networks?

Usually the FPP connects to a switch via ethernet and then the controllers and other FPP connect to the same switch. The WiFi of the master is used to connect to your home network so that you can send your sequences to it and manipulate the setup. Why do you want to run the controller directly off FPP?

Post Thanks / Like

I want to keep it completely off of my home network and run the sequence from sd card on the FPP locally. To access the FPPs for changes or uploads, I simply connect to the AP from my home computer (I dont need to make many changes). From what I understand the sync traffic between master and remote is nominal. My question is using master to communicate with remove via wifi and ethernet (I assuming the AP will handle any routing).

Post Thanks / Like

The master and slave need to be on the same network. Depending on how you configure the AP, The wired and wireless would be the same network. The drawback is a slight delay incurred on the wireless side that may cause the slave to be a bit behind.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

So you are recommending this? Master and Remote on same net... AP connected to home router if i want that, or connect to it via wifi too for updates and uploading sequences...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Your picture shows everything on different networks. Assuming you are using a 192.168 net. All of the addresses would start with the same three numbers: 192.168.40.??? giving you 255 devices on the 192.168.40 subnet. Then everything will work and be seperate from your house network.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 10-07-2019 at 07:22 AM.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I think the missing piece is putting the AP in bridge mode vs router mode, correct? That way everything is on the same subnet... regardless of interface (wlan or eth0)... Ive be operating the AP in router mode, hence the confusion.