Thread: dot NET Framework 4.7.2

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation dot NET Framework 4.7.2

I misplaced my older version so I downloaded latest version of Vixen today.

Suppose to run on windows 7, 8, 10 - okay, previous versions ran on Win 8 LAST YEAR. Now it wants dot NET 4.7.2 -- Windows 8 supports up to dot NET 4.6.*

MICROSOFT REPORTS: dot NET Framework 4.7.2 is not supported below Windows 10 so the latest Vixen WILL NOT RUN on Win 7 or 8.

There is no mention to the fact the latest Vixen runs on a Windows 10 machine only.

THANKS
    Last edited by RGB_Mixer; 10-05-2019 at 10:55 AM.
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: dot NET Framework 4.7.2

.NET 4.7.2 is supported on Windows 7 SP1 or later and Windows 8.1 along with Win 10. We have folks running the latest on Win 7. You can update
    Windows 8 (Which went out of Microsoft support Jan 2016). to 8.1 where it will be supported along with the other enhancements come with 8.1.

See the following.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...m-requirements

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...to-windows-8-1
    Last edited by jeffu231; 10-05-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jeff.

I get it, however, here is what I am doing. I use this machine for development and all the older software I have runs correctly. The 8.1 and 10 flavors does not allow me to use some of this. The older programs I do use are not cheap. So to preserve my investment and save from spending INSANE amounts and getting nothing more than what I already have JUST BECAUSE MS did not provide backward compatibility? That is sort of nuts, ya think?

Here is the thing I have noticed - Since MS has essentially trashed Win 8.0 (seriously, it is almost impossible to find any support on the WEB now) there are a few reasons I stuck to 8.0 on this machine.

For me to put my machine back into a "MESSED UP" state again is not what I prefer to do. I can run Win 7, 8 and 10. I have a killer Win Index of 8.2 (not too shabby). So the hardware can support anything I can throw at it. Virtual boxes? I can do that too - Not interested.

Do not get me wrong. I use 8.1 and 10 flavors on OTHER machines on a daily basis.

Right now, this machine is working very well, secured and does all I need it to do. I did not install any "UPDATES", only "SECURITY UPDATES". This time around EVERYTHING WORKS as it should.

For now, I will use an older version of Vixen to develop my sequences.

I do have ONE QUESTION since I will proceed this way. FILE COMPATIBILITY: Will the earlier and later versions still read/write the data files in the same format?

I will use version 3.5u4 #759 on this machine.

I store my sequences and such on a NAS so all the machines have access.

I am considering a Win 7 machine to run the show although I have been using an older Vista laptop to run the shows in past years.

Thanks for the consideration,
    Eddie
    -Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand what you are trying to do, but I hope you understand that we have chosen to stay up to date with our software releases. We try to support what is currently supported by Microsoft from a .NET/OS perspective. As a note, Win 7 goes out of support at the end of this year, so any updates next year may no longer support Win 7 as we continue to keep pace with the .NET releases. If you choose to remain on the older versions, then you will be limited to the versions of Vixen that were supported on those. We generally move forward in the first half of any given year and remain stable through the Christmas season. Our file formats can change as we add new features. We make every effort to migrate those forward with the newer versions, but do not guarantee backward compatibility because generally what changes relates to new features that the older versions do not have. So if you are going to remain on an older version on one machine and want to share that across others, you need to maintain that same version across all of them.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jeff,

Sure I get that too. I was coding @ the I.T. center in Mahwah, NJ for U.P.S. years ago when COBOL was KING - Okay, I am showing my age .. Hehehehe.

I am all for progress - Look how far UPS came! I also coded in assembler, basic, C, dBase & Fortran - I really do appreciate improvements.

Okay, so if I understand this file compatibility clearly: Newer versions can read older versions, pretty much the only way to upgrade. However, the newer version could store data in a different or incompatible format that older versions might not understand. That is what I take on this NO WORRIES.

I have had Q & A's with a vendor - a large data file took forever to load. We worked on it and they fixed it so a LARGE file is parsed in a few seconds now.

Thanks for the insight :D

Keep up the great work!!
    -Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_Mixer View Post
    Hi Jeff,

Sure I get that too. I was coding @ the I.T. center in Mahwah, NJ for U.P.S. years ago when COBOL was KING - Okay, I am showing my age .. Hehehehe.

I am all for progress - Look how far UPS came! I also coded in assembler, basic, C, dBase & Fortran - I really do appreciate improvements.

Okay, so if I understand this file compatibility clearly: Newer versions can read older versions, pretty much the only way to upgrade. However, the newer version could store data in a different or incompatible format that older versions might not understand. That is what I take on this NO WORRIES.

I have had Q & A's with a vendor - a large data file took forever to load. We worked on it and they fixed it so a LARGE file is parsed in a few seconds now.

Thanks for the insight :D

Keep up the great work!!
    I spent many years writing COBOL on Honeywell systems before I moved on, so that will date me as well. Your take is correct the newer version can read the older versions, but they may migrate the older version forward to a place that the older versions may have issues with if they are interchanged. The 3.6 series has have a lot of those performance improvements, so it is a significant step forward in that space along with all the features that came along with them.