Thread: How are you removing the silicone from pixel strips to expose the copper pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How are you removing the silicone from pixel strips to expose the copper pads?

First time with strips, the cut line goes right in the middle of the copper pads. They have a decent coat of silicone on the top, I've been trying to gently cut or peel back the silicone, but it seems like it's going to rip up the pads. How exactly are people accessing these at every cut mark for soldering? Any videos I've seen they basically just cut and solder, so must have been the strips in sleeves instead

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How are you removing the silicone from pixel strips to expose the copper pads?

These aren't in a sleeve. They just have a really dense slightly rounded coat of the silicone. It's really seeming like it will cause damage to peel it off and trying to cut at it a bit isn't working great because I can't go down to the actual strip material

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How are you removing the silicone from pixel strips to expose the copper pads?

Use a sharp razor blade and make a few light cuts down on the silicone(from the top perpendicular to the strip right at the end of the solder pads) being careful to not score the strip.

Then use the razor blade and poke into the silicone from the end of the strip right above the strip. Pull up and the little piece of silicone at the end will pull up.

Itís not going to take the pads with it, just be careful and go slow and youíll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jguenther View Post
    Use a sharp razor blade and make a few light cuts down on the silicone(from the top perpendicular to the strip right at the end of the solder pads) being careful to not score the strip.

Then use the razor blade and poke into the silicone from the end of the strip right above the strip. Pull up and the little piece of silicone at the end will pull up.

It’s not going to take the pads with it, just be careful and go slow and you’ll be fine.
    So I managed to get one done with your encouragement, but it certainly isn't a nice clean cut lol. The covering looks like ripped jello as I had to kind of pull off chunks from my cuts, but the pads are intact, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Is there pads on the back side of your strip ?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Is there pads on the back side of your strip ?
    Yep, After I cut it ,I realized it looks like each of the strip has half of a copper pad. 1/2 on the top, then folded on the underside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stallionent View Post
    First video I've seen that actually dealt with the silicone layer on top rather than just saying "oh you remove it". So thanks for that. I've done it successfully now, but watching that validated it. Although, buddy has a death wish pushing that extremely sharp knife towards his hands with no room for reaction lol