Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what type pixel strip can control each individual pixel

Post Thanks / Like

Question what type pixel strip can control each individual pixel

Need advise on what type pixel strip to get where I can control each individual pixel. It will be driven by falcon controller?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what type pixel strip can control each individual pixel

Falcon supports WS2811 / WS2812 / TM1804 / TM1803 / TM1809 / TM1812 / SM16715 / INK1003 /LX1203, and more... WS2811 is the most popular.

Post Thanks / Like

In the WS28xx family, the individual control strips are made using WS2812 or higher numbered devices. There are other device families out there but I have no information on them.

FYI: I have been removing all WS2812+ devices from my show due to reliability issues.

Martin

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    In the WS28xx family, the individual control strips are made using WS2812 or higher numbered devices. There are other device families out there but I have no information on them.

FYI: I have been removing all WS2812+ devices from my show due to reliability issues.

Martin
    WS2812 and higher, got it.
    What type reliability issues you are experiencing? Maybe I should not look into those either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrewDennis View Post
    Falcon supports WS2811 / WS2812 / TM1804 / TM1803 / TM1809 / TM1812 / SM16715 / INK1003 /LX1203, and more... WS2811 is the most popular.
    thanks, but the question was which type can be controlled individually. I do have quite a few WS2811 strips but 3 pixels are controlled at a time, not individual

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the North East. Not super cold but not warm either. Almost every night I had one or more pixels de-laminate from the flexible PCB. Bought two dozen finger clamps to squeeze the chips to the board (makes the strip work again) and then replaced the strips on the weekend. I tried fixing the strips but the pile grew faster than my ability (or maybe it was desire) to reflow the solder on the board (I have a surface mount repair station). After two seasons I made the decision to stop repairing the strips and discard any strip that stops working. At this point I am almost out of spares and have been rebuilding props that used strips to use bullets instead. I have one matrix and 5 arches left using the WS2812 based strips.

FYI: On some props I moved to the WS2811 3:1 strips and those are working very nicely. These strips have less heat in a single point and seem to fair better.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by one787980 View Post
    thanks, but the question was which type can be controlled individually. I do have quite a few WS2811 strips but 3 pixels are controlled at a time, not individual
    All of the families described here have the ability to come in a 1:1 configuration. That list simply gives you a starting point in a search for strips other than the WS2812+ family.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a FYI, WS2811 strips are 3 LEDs per pixel, however WS2811 strings are 1 LED per pixel. You did say strips, but for outside displays I guarantee 98% of the community will recommend against using strips.

If you want individual control, you will want WS2812, but as Martin said, and I can attest to with my own dealings with them, they fail easily and compared to strings are damn hard to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it depends on the strips, the most common is your 30/10, 30 LEDS/meter, 10 "pixels" per meter. But you can get 30/30 or even 60/60 where each LED is controllable (30 or 60 per meter) and still be ws2811. All though now you will most likely find them as ws2812 or higher. Just note you will still find the 30/10 in the ws2812 too.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    Actually it depends on the strips, the most common is your 30/10, 30 LEDS/meter, 10 "pixels" per meter. But you can get 30/30 or even 60/60 where each LED is controllable (30 or 60 per meter) and still be ws2811. All though now you will most likely find them as ws2812 or higher. Just note you will still find the 30/10 in the ws2812 too.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk
    Minor correction here. Ws2812 is a ws2811 chip plus a tri color led in a single package. I haveNot seen a ws2811 1:1 strip. Most strips at 1:1 are using ws2812 or higher chips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast