Thread: Assigning colors for regular light strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Assigning colors for regular light strings

So, I added some monochrome incandescent stings, orange, purple and green. I noticed when I put an alternating effect on the strings not all of them lit up. After some troubleshooting I figured out that the way to get it to work was to use the exact color codes. That is to say, the hue, luminosity etc to get specific hex code.
    I had thought if I had an orange string and applied an orange[ish] effect it would still cover it. Am I thinking wrong about this, do I need to have exact colors to trigger effects? Should I always create my colors/gradients ahead of time and use them exclusively? Is there an easy way to add new strings later and match colors? [I don't see any access to color libraries in display setup section]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Assigning colors for regular light strings

This is an issue that has come up before. Yes you need to match the colors in the sequence exactly to the colors applied to the element. Keep in mind. by this definition, White is a unique color, not the sum of all colors. Applying white to an element that is defined as Orange will NOT turn on the Orange string (Found that out the hard way).

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    This is an issue that has come up before. Yes you need to match the colors in the sequence exactly to the colors applied to the element. Keep in mind. by this definition, White is a unique color, not the sum of all colors. Applying white to an element that is defined as Orange will NOT turn on the Orange string (Found that out the hard way).
    It's probably best then to define & setup colors before or early on in a project and keep them on paper. I hadn't thought about white being all colors, but it makes sense that you would think that.

I think having access to the color library on the Color Configuration dialog in setup might be a good candidate for a feature request.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a very tight tolerance for the color matching when setting them up as single or multiple individual colors. The basic effects will default to using one of the supported colors when you add them to an element defined as such, or the color pickers will provide you the acceptable options to choose from. The Pixel type effects don't have that feature, but they generally don't provide any useful value on analog string type lights.