Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New street light too bright.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New street light too bright.

Quote Originally Posted by studiopro View Post
    I will be curious how you make out with this. I was afraid of the same thing when the power company was replacing our street lights. I got really lucky though, because the street light is angled so my neighbor's house is like daylight, and mine isn't too bad. My neighbor was even complaining about how bright it was since it shines basically in his bedroom window. Funny coincidence that people who love a hobby very much into the great tech that LEDs are now facing problems with them

Good luck!

After posting this I was at xlights.org checking out videos and saw this and thought I'd pass along one way to maybe get around this:
    https://youtu.be/9No3sGRS-sw?t=262
    Cool idea if its close enough to hit it well.
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

Join the club. I have the same problem and have heard the same complaint from many others. Asking for a shield to be installed has worked for many people. Asking for it to be disconnected entirely just for December has worked for some. I tried that though, and spoke to many many county and power company officials and was refused on the grounds of public safety. Some have succeeded with the spotlight trick, or a laser pointer rigidly mounted on a tripod. That didn't work for me either since the sensor points in the wrong direction. And while I don't recommend it, some have resorted to a B.B. gun. I may have the problem solved for this year, a power company worker has agreed to discreetly disconnect it temporarily in exchange for a donation to his church.
    Wizlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

My ideas are probably illegal so I recommend against them but the first things that came to mind are:
    BB gun (or .22) is too permanent. How about a paintball gun with black paint (do they make them?). No permanent damage, rain washes it away.
    Some light posts have a access panel at the base. An inspection of what's inside may suggest some options.
    These are bad ideas so do not take them seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

One idea that I have contemplated on several occasions is from a few years ago. The poster created a "hood" that was made of a light passing material. Within that hood was a small string of lights, controlled from his show system. The hood was placed over the sensor (I'll leave it up to you to think of how he did that), and when his show was running he turned on those lights. This fooled the sensor into thinking it was daylight.

The really good thing was that the light would act reasonably normally during the remainder of the day and night since it could "see" the natural light when the show was not running.

As stated, how it got up there as well as how it remained in place during winds/storms/etc. was not shared. I can imagine many things, but nothing was told to this reporter.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

The city regards streetlights as a public safety feature and they probably won't look too kindly on those that tamper with them. I'm pretty sure some kind of fine would be in order for doing so.

I have a street light pole in the corner of my front yard and yeah, it casts an orange glow over the whole front yard -- and my house (which has white siding). Every year I decorate it with red/white lights in a candy-cane stripe fashion. The lights are attached to some garden fencing and I wrap the lights/fencing around the pole and tie it in the back with multiple zip ties. It rests on the ground and extends upward short of the light itself, and nothing is actually attached to the pole -- no holes are drilled, etc. I can actually install it by standing on the ground, wrapping a section around it and zip-tieing, lifting it up, wrapping another section, etc. until it's fully extended. A 16-channel wireless controller rests on the ground next to the pole and is plugged into my system along with all the other controllers.

Every year, somebody from the city stops and examines it, takes photos, etc. I've talked to these guys a couple times and they've told me it would indeed be a homeowner violation if I tampered with the light but insofar as I'm not defacing or damaging city property and not impairing the operating of the light or public safety, they've allowed it. But every year, they do come by and check it carefully.

I wish it were otherwise, but I've learned to live with it. Still, it's worth checking with your city people to see if some accommodation can be made. Just expect them to say "no."

EDIT: I added a photo of last year's show during setup testing -- you can see the streetlight pole at the far left edge of the photo...

1129182234-PANO.jpg
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 10-08-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added photo

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Well this is a tricky question. On one side they put it all for people and maybe they don't take under consideration our installations. In my property in Germany here for example because of such street lights I had to buy new curtains just because I couldn't sleep in a bright room at night anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eladogu View Post
    Well this is a tricky question. On one side they put it all for people and maybe they don't take under consideration our installations. In my property in Germany here for example because of such street lights I had to buy new curtains just because I couldn't sleep in a bright room at night anymore.
    So they kept you awake all night, making your home safer because someone was on watch

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12