Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New street light too bright.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New street light too bright.

The city street light about 75' from my property started messing up a few months ago. Ameren electric came out and changed the older orange bulb out for the new LED lights. Well, my yard went from barely lit to daylight. These things are bright! This is going to cause issues for my display, especially Halloween. Has anybody had to deal with this? If so, what did you do to resolve the issue. I am going to call the city tomorrow, but have been told by a few people it is Ameren that does the lights. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New street light too bright.

Those new tiny LED bulbs are really Bright. they replaced them all around where i live and wow it was so much brighter. my parents decided when they first moved in they didn't want the one on the property and had them disconnect it. sure glad cause my displays would suck with it.
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

Deleted on advice.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 09-30-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be curious how you make out with this. I was afraid of the same thing when the power company was replacing our street lights. I got really lucky though, because the street light is angled so my neighbor's house is like daylight, and mine isn't too bad. My neighbor was even complaining about how bright it was since it shines basically in his bedroom window. Funny coincidence that people who love a hobby very much into the great tech that LEDs are now facing problems with them

Good luck!

After posting this I was at xlights.org checking out videos and saw this and thought I'd pass along one way to maybe get around this:
    https://youtu.be/9No3sGRS-sw?t=262
    Last edited by studiopro; 09-29-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by studiopro View Post
    I will be curious how you make out with this. I was afraid of the same thing when the power company was replacing our street lights. I got really lucky though, because the street light is angled so my neighbor's house is like daylight, and mine isn't too bad. My neighbor was even complaining about how bright it was since it shines basically in his bedroom window. Funny coincidence that people who love a hobby very much into the great tech that LEDs are now facing problems with them

Good luck!

After posting this I was at xlights.org checking out videos and saw this and thought I'd pass along one way to maybe get around this:
    https://youtu.be/9No3sGRS-sw?t=262
    Cool idea if its close enough to hit it well.
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

A local flower grower had to have the power company come out and install a shield on the new street lights around their greenhouse. The lights were so bright they were interfering with the natural growth of the plants they were producing. I've heard of others that have placed a shield of their own, strategically located, so their shows aren't overwhelmed.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

The city regards streetlights as a public safety feature and they probably won't look too kindly on those that tamper with them. I'm pretty sure some kind of fine would be in order for doing so.

I have a street light pole in the corner of my front yard and yeah, it casts an orange glow over the whole front yard -- and my house (which has white siding). Every year I decorate it with red/white lights in a candy-cane stripe fashion. The lights are attached to some garden fencing and I wrap the lights/fencing around the pole and tie it in the back with multiple zip ties. It rests on the ground and extends upward short of the light itself, and nothing is actually attached to the pole -- no holes are drilled, etc. I can actually install it by standing on the ground, wrapping a section around it and zip-tieing, lifting it up, wrapping another section, etc. until it's fully extended. A 16-channel wireless controller rests on the ground next to the pole and is plugged into my system along with all the other controllers.

Every year, somebody from the city stops and examines it, takes photos, etc. I've talked to these guys a couple times and they've told me it would indeed be a homeowner violation if I tampered with the light but insofar as I'm not defacing or damaging city property and not impairing the operating of the light or public safety, they've allowed it. But every year, they do come by and check it carefully.

I wish it were otherwise, but I've learned to live with it. Still, it's worth checking with your city people to see if some accommodation can be made. Just expect them to say "no."

EDIT: I added a photo of last year's show during setup testing -- you can see the streetlight pole at the far left edge of the photo...

1129182234-PANO.jpg
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 10-08-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added photo

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Complain about the light being too bright in your windows at night; see if they will install a deflector/shield. I don't know that I would tell them it's because of you xmas display, though clearly that is way more important then sleeping at night!

Post Thanks / Like

if all else fails an extension pole, can of black spray paint and one of these will do the trick

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe try a high intensity spot light and see if you can find the photo sensor at night. If you have a tall tree or second story on your house you might be able to get up in the air enough to hit it. If you can hit the sensor maybe it will put the light out and that can just be part of your show. Show is over, spot light out and street light comes on. We have one on a tower near my house and the cops will shine their spot on it and it goes out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast