Thread: 2nd inline pixel string won't work

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2nd inline pixel string won't work

I have 92 pixels (WS2811) running of an ESPixelstick. I installed them a month ago and they worked fine.

Today, the last 42, which is the second string, aren't working. I thought maybe the string went bad so I hooked up a brand new string to test but they won't work either. I tried changing the ESP pixel count to 10 pixels and did the solid color test. The last 8 pixels in the first string lit up, not the first 10? I checked the voltage at the end of the 1st string, got 11.55v, connected the second string (new one) and tested the end and got 11.33v. I restarted the ESP and the last pixel lit up light blue and now when I do the test it stays that color. The second string still won't work.

I'm guessing this is a bad pixel, but I don't understand how that would make the last 8 pixels in the string light up when I changed the count to 10?

And, as I am sure you are all aware, the bad pixel is of course in the arch of the 3rd story attic roof-out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2nd inline pixel string won't work

Well, it was definitely that pixel. I changed it out and redid all the troubleshooting steps and everything worked as it should. I'll just chalk those last 8 pixels lighting up as a freak incident.

Post Thanks / Like

A pixel can go bad in many ways. It can corrupt the data it is receiving do will forward the corrupted data to the rest of the string which can result in very interesting unwanted lighting effects.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    A pixel can go bad in many ways. It can corrupt the data it is receiving do will forward the corrupted data to the rest of the string which can result in very interesting unwanted lighting effects.
    True, just to me affecting the pixels before it was unexpected. I can see it going wonky down the line, but not the other way around.