Thread: Custom top value for intensity in Set Level?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Custom top value for intensity in Set Level?

I am controlling some RGB LEDs through Generic Serial. They're just plain old dumb LEDs, not addressable ones. I have a channel in Vixen per color for each set of LEDs. I can get color mixes from tables on the internet, but they're all in the 0-255 range as you might expect. Intensity on the "Set Level" control is in the 0-100 range. Is there a simple way to make the intensity scale 0-255 as well? I know---it's easy just to just divide the table value by 255 and get a 0-100 value that way, but I've got a lot of old sequences to update where I'm replacing a single color LED with an RGB one.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Custom top value for intensity in Set Level?

The set level range is 0 - 100% of the values the controller you are using sends out. The generic serial controller sends out 8 bit values which will be 0-255. So when the Set Level is 100%, you will get 255 out the port assuming you don't have some dimming curve modifying the values in the output chain.

Post Thanks / Like

So they are rgb leds or three separate color leds? It sounds like you should remake them as an RGB prop. You still patch them channel 1 to red, 2 to green, 3 to blue (or whatever you have) but you sequence them as colors. If they are three separate strips/nodes then you might still want to treat them as a rgb prop but it will make it a little more interesting to sequence the separate colors individually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    The set level range is 0 - 100% of the values the controller you are using sends out. The generic serial controller sends out 8 bit values which will be 0-255. So when the Set Level is 100%, you will get 255 out the port assuming you don't have some dimming curve modifying the values in the output chain.
    Yeah, I get that, but I was wondering if there was an easy way to make the top value 255 in the interface, just so I wouldn't have to convert 0-255 to 0-100 every time I changed the value. Just as a convenience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    So they are rgb leds or three separate color leds? It sounds like you should remake them as an RGB prop. You still patch them channel 1 to red, 2 to green, 3 to blue (or whatever you have) but you sequence them as colors. If they are three separate strips/nodes then you might still want to treat them as a rgb prop but it will make it a little more interesting to sequence the separate colors individually.
    Ah, this sound perfect. This is something you set up in the "Setup Displays" window? And then which tool would you use to set the color in the sequence? Set level only maps to one output right? Also, will that still export to fseq okay? I actually run the sequence from FPP.

Post Thanks / Like

Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know about that capability!