Thread: How do I waterproof pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do I waterproof pixels

I found these pixels and they do not have any waterproofing on them. I was thinking that I would put heat sink tubing on them. I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. I will be using hot glue to mount them can I use that to waterproof
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do I waterproof pixels

How much cheaper were they compared to the waterproof ones? Is it worth the extra fluffing around?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I got these a year back and they were about the same price as waterproof ones. I needed ones with out the waterproof coating so they would fit in a prop that I was making.The coat would not fit. Now that I have the prop made I am thinking I need to waterproof them.

Ajventi

Post Thanks / Like

I would try the following:
    1. Apply an acrylic conformal coating to them 1st.
    2. Use clear adhesive lined heatshrink and place over board and make sure it comes up to the LED. I would squirt some clear GE Silicone II sealant in and shrink the tubing until it squirts out.
    Silicone is not as good as epoxy and will fail over time, especially if the pixels are stressed or moved around.
    It's all going to depend on how exposed these will be to the elements....
    Hot glue is not great for waterproofing as it will crack when stressed, at least with the silicone you will get a bit of flexibility.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I learned the hard way with IP67 "animal" pixels. A couple of rainstorms in mid winter caused 1 week outages while they dried out. They are being repurposed for window outlines on the inside. IP68 pixels now for everything outside. I do not see much of a size difference between the 2, maybe 1/8" depth.

Post Thanks / Like

I am installing these into a plastic star. I think I can seal the to half's together but was thinking to apply some additional waterproofing to be safe

Post Thanks / Like

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but relevant to the topic: I've noticed that quite a few of my pixels aren't quite sealed anymore after the off season. By which I mean they have a certain look when sealed and when the silicone/epoxy is sealed up against the inner wall of the bullet. Some of them have flexed or had the bullet casing squeezed or warped, and while they still work fine, I can see clear areas of "air pockets" in some pixels where the sealant is still there, but the bullet shell isn't flush to it. I can be sure, because if I squeeze that area, it makes contact again with the sealant and looks normal. I live in Vancouver, BC, a practical rainforest in Nov-Dec. I could foresee DEVASTATING show ending damage if these allow water in, but I really want to avoid replacing perfectly good pixels. Any suggestions for these? I assume clear silicone dabbed at the back of the bullet would be recommended by some, and denounced by others as unlikely to properly seal. I'm open to any suggestions or products/procedures