Thread: Possible weird audio bug in build 918

Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible weird audio bug in build 918

Not sure if this is actually a bug for vixen, but noticed something weird. I cannot hear audio playback whatsoever from vixen through any headphones. Literally every other function on the pc, be it system sounds, you tube videos, games etc will output to various headphones connected by either bluetooth or headphone jack, but I can switch to vixen, start playback, and although the correct device is selected for output in windows and it just worked seconds before, nothing. I can see the audio meter dancing during playback from vixen supposedly on the vixen and headphone sliders in the mixer. But if I put the output to regular speakers, it works again via vixen. I've tried it on a few different pc's and with different headphones, same result. One thing I did notice, there is a dropdown to select audio playback device in vixen. For some weird reason, no matter what I do, even rebooting, re-installing etc.... the headphones will not show up as a choice, nor do the 3.5mm jacks or bluetooth. This is despite the fact that they are listed and recognized properly in windows at the time. And restarting vixen after detection in windows also doesn't help. Am I Missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Possible weird audio bug in build 918

The audio section in Vixen has not changed in years and the only general issues are if you plug or unplug the headphones while Vixen is running, it does not deal well with the change. The audio library we use does not handle that well. But if the device is plugged in and working when Vixen is started, I have generally not seen any issues. It is odd that it would not show up in the list of devices if they are there in the system. Mine has about 6 devices listed between 2 sound cards and a bluetooth headset. Which OS are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Some audio devices, especially on laptops, will have one actual audio device that it routes to various outputs internally within the driver. In these cases, vixen would see the one device the driver presents to windows, and usually autodetects which actual device is plugged in and will route it the right way. One of my laptops is like this. It only reports the one device. I think it's named "HD Audio" or something like that. If there's headphones plugged in, it'll use those, if not it will play thru the speakers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Some audio devices, especially on laptops, will have one actual audio device that it routes to various outputs internally within the driver. In these cases, vixen would see the one device the driver presents to windows, and usually autodetects which actual device is plugged in and will route it the right way. One of my laptops is like this. It only reports the one device. I think it's named "HD Audio" or something like that. If there's headphones plugged in, it'll use those, if not it will play thru the speakers.
    LOL, that's exactly what it reported, hd audio and yes, it's a laptop. But it plays through the speakers, but not the headphones whether connected via 3.5mm jack or Bluetooth. And this is only in vixen. Audio output works fine for everything else

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a Bluetooth device that wasn't its own audio device. That's going to be provided by its own driver. I wouldn't expect that would be part of the HD audio autoswitching mechanism. The Bluetooth device should show as its own audio device. You should have it paired and connected before starting windows and you'll see it in vixen as an audio device option.
    That being said, I generally don't recommend using Bluetooth audio for sequencing. It's usually got enough latency that all of your sequencing will be off by just a bit.