Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controlling a single (for now) stepper motor with XLights?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Controlling a single (for now) stepper motor with XLights?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's run across this but in all the searching done by myself and a friend of mine we're not coming up with anything definitive. All I want to do is control the rotation of a stepper motor (NEMA 17/23) through XLights as part of my display. What do I need in order to make this happen? I'm running Ron's Holiday Lights 4 universe controllers and ESP Wifi sticks.

Do I need to connect the DMX outputs on the controller to a DMX specific controller and if so - what is this controller? I've seen lots of arduino references - do I need to build up an Arduino to act as a controller?

I've watched and rewatched the Canispater Christmas moving head light but he's using a Falcon F16v3 controller which may have capability my controller does not?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Controlling a single (for now) stepper motor with XLights?

If you were using a servo, you can use a PIC chip programmed with the Renard code : http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ighlight=servo

I use this for a servo controlled RGB spotlight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Macboy View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the only one that's run across this but in all the searching done by myself and a friend of mine we're not coming up with anything definitive. All I want to do is control the rotation of a stepper motor (NEMA 17/23) through XLights as part of my display. What do I need in order to make this happen? I'm running Ron's Holiday Lights 4 universe controllers and ESP Wifi sticks.

Do I need to connect the DMX outputs on the controller to a DMX specific controller and if so - what is this controller? I've seen lots of arduino references - do I need to build up an Arduino to act as a controller?

I've watched and rewatched the Canispater Christmas moving head light but he's using a Falcon F16v3 controller which may have capability my controller does not?
    Hi

I have code you can add to a ESPixelStick firmware provided you use a Wemos or Arduino and a L293D ic to control stepper motors as you would a pixel .

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...c-motors/page2
    post #16

I could probably re write this code to eliminate the analogrRead .

Let me know if interested .
    Last edited by angus40; 09-25-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely interested. I'll have a read through that whole thread this evening. I see an L293D IC on the Amazon. Is that what I'll need? And is this then going to need a power supply for the motor? (Forgive me if it's in the other thread ....I'm on my phone waiting for a driver so can't dig right in right now).

Post Thanks / Like

I will re visit stepper this eve an see if I can remove the ic and the analogread pins all together.
    I am thinking this could be reduced a 2 channel control with intensity as the speed source .
    Thinking being the operative atm .

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, this looks perfect (and I have an Uno laying around too). I found a few online tutorials/Instructables on working with dc motors and L293D ICs. I assume if I start there and get the motor running off the Arduino controlling it should be pretty plug and play? Do you have any photos of how you've wired it up?

Post Thanks / Like

Here data sheet for this ic .

This will give you an idea for wiring it all up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZNF7tAJmfk

It is important you use the stepper pin numbers that you assign the stepper in code .
    I don"t recall even having to pinMode them .

Unfortunately I have not had time to play with steppers or code .
    Am brain drained with servos and halloween props atm.

I do believe that in my last testing with steppers , I removed the use of the ic and went with a motor controller .
    this simplified wiring to 2 one for direction select and one for position/ movement .

More play time coming up this weekend .
    Last edited by angus40; 09-26-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I have all the required bits for this - gonna give it a go. How does on connect it to a controller? Just as if it were an RGB led? So I need a three wire output into the Arduino? Do you know which pins to use for the inputs?

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to build this again to give you sound advice , here is the general gist .

Breadboard the ic as described from your Arduino 4 outputs to stepper control ic 4 inputs.
    ic has 4 outputs for stepper
    ground pins on ic are obvious
    enable pins to 5v also chip Vss pin to 5v
    chip Vs pin is not used .
    If I recall inputs 1-3 are switched for one direction and 2-4 for the opposite direction.
    Intensity of the effects sent to the ws 2811 control the speed .

The ws 2811 pcb's needs to connect to a pixel controller , choose your channels to read from the ws 2811 and connect your Arduino input pins to those output channels on the ws 2811 pcb's .

Unfortunately I didn't document this better .
    I will try and get a complete how to for next week .
    In the meantime you may get it figured from trial and error ..... the best teacher
    Last edited by angus40; 10-02-2019 at 04:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at this one:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20181208...sh/stepper.htm

Unfortunately, original site is no more
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am.
    My attitude depends on who you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast