Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed resolving flicker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help needed resolving flicker

Have any of you experience this type of flicker ?
    I am only 6 ft from the Wemos all is direct connect and 0 reverse protection .
    I noticed this flicker mildly during testing on bread board with ws 2811 circuit board and usb power .
    I figured it would disappear with ws 2812b and a 5v power supply, but seems magnified .

All suggestions welcome !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help needed resolving flicker

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Have any of you experience this type of flicker ?
    I am only 6 ft from the Wemos all is direct connect and 0 reverse protection .
    I noticed this flicker mildly during testing on bread board with ws 2811 circuit board and usb power .
    I figured it would disappear with ws 2812b and a 5v power supply, but seems magnified .

All suggestions welcome !

Angus40, I have to say, that is some truly impressive work you have going on! Is that all home built?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it has been a fun project so far . here is a few snippets from along the way .

Last edited by angus40; 09-23-2019 at 03:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Angus, looking good. With regard to the flicker the Wemos outputs data at 3.3V when ideally it should be 5V and this can make the data more susceptible to corruption. The usual fixes work – buffer, line amp or null pixel. If you have a spare WS2811/12 you can try putting one in close to the Wemos to act as a null pixel, this should boost the data to 5V and hopefully it will cure your issue.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks pretty awesome ! Sorry I wouldn’t be much help in the problem solving department but very interested in a how -to for your build ,if willing to share ... as I would love to build a few zombie types like this for next year to add to my display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi Angus, looking good. With regard to the flicker the Wemos outputs data at 3.3V when ideally it should be 5V and this can make the data more susceptible to corruption. The usual fixes work – buffer, line amp or null pixel. If you have a spare WS2811/12 you can try putting one in close to the Wemos to act as a null pixel, this should boost the data to 5V and hopefully it will cure your issue.
    What he said. That is a classic poor signal to the pixels. FYI: WS2811/WS2812/WS2814 devices all share the same protocol and input stage designs. They are all equally touchy when it comes to signal quality.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the positive comments .
    I have a strong feeling that this particular flickering is code induced rather than logic level .

Using the e131 neo pixel code on its own , driving these pixels is clean and no flicker .
    Adding the neo pixel lib to BarnabyBears e131 code seems to have dragged in the flicker .
    Here you can see it is happening at breadboard level so I think distance and or / weak signal is definitely not the issue .

Post Thanks / Like

Here is where I think the issue lies >

a contentious issue ????

If I uncomment this line below, the flicker stops but the leds do not got out when stop is selected >> //if (e131.parsePacket())

Code:
    void loop
    num_channels = e131.parsePacket();

if (num_channels) 
        { 
        // if the number of eE1.31 channels of data is greater than 0

for (i = 0; i < num_channels; i++)

int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START - 1);  
         pixels_a.setPixelColor(i, e131.data[j], e131.data[j+1], e131.data[j+2]);
    Last edited by angus40; 09-23-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, can you post more of the code please it's difficult to follow the loops from just that snippet.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're still experiencing flickering, here's my 2 cents. I had constant flickering in my matrix for the past couple years and this year I stumbled upon a video of someone using a Ferrite Core. I had tried everything else with no success so I ordered some off Amazon (3mm fit on a 18awg wire nicely) and put one on each Data line (next to the board) that was flickering, and Now I have no flickering. You mentioned when testing from the board on it's own you had no issues. I saw the same thing with mine, but when running off the program, it always made an appearance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast