Thread: Making use of a bunch of leftover Vampire plugs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Making use of a bunch of leftover Vampire plugs

So I bought some stock from a "blinker" who was retiring a few years ago when I was getting started and just using renards and standard lights. I've moved on to pretty much all pixels now, and at this time, my stock is 5v ws2811 bullets. I discovered just how needy the power injection was with the 5v pixels, as the wire gauge on them was thinner than I had thought. So when I switched to the 5v pixels the first time, I had spent a ridiculous amount of extra time splicing and soldering and sealing a pair of wires to each injection point. But as this work took place really close to the show start date, I didn't have time to come up with and source some kind of disconnect system for all the injection wires, and ended up having to cut them when I was dismantling. With a little more time this season, I've been looking at a way to hopefully have the injection points be re-usable without having to re solder and seal everything. And it occured to me that the retired guy had included in his stock a large amount of Vampire plugs (spt2 I believe). I couldn't find enough use for that many, so they have been gathering dust. But the thought came to me....what about wiring in a female vampire plug socket on one side of the cut wire, and a male one on the other end. The idea being that in future seasons, injection setup and takedown is a simple plug. However, I am wondering about the water resistance/safety of those plugs being exposed to almost guaranteed rain storms in Vancouver. Just trying to find a use for these. I have probably 5 or 6 bags of m/f pairs, so don't want them to go to waste.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Making use of a bunch of leftover Vampire plugs

This has been discussed several times in past years. In general it's not a good idea to use a standard AC mains plug for anything other than AC mains power. It's too easy to make a mistake and plug it into power and poof! out comes the magic smoke. Or for a well meaning helper to make the same mistake for you.

There's no technical reason why it wouldn't work just fine. But this is one of those "just don't do it" items.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do use them you will have to watch your polarity or more magic smoke will escape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    This has been discussed several times in past years. In general it's not a good idea to use a standard AC mains plug for anything other than AC mains power. It's too easy to make a mistake and plug it into power and poof! out comes the magic smoke. Or for a well meaning helper to make the same mistake for you.

There's no technical reason why it wouldn't work just fine. But this is one of those "just don't do it" items.
    +1 You don't want to take a chance of anybody plugging into 120V. I use AMP plugs for all my pixels and power injection. They come in many pin options including 2 & 3 pin which are my most used. These also are easy to disconnect with one hand even while wearing gloves, nice for teardown.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post

Very much understood! Theoretically though, if the concerns about magic smoke from being plugged into mains or polarity weren't a factor, would the vamp plugs be able to handle being exposed to the rain? Or would they get fried? They don't exactly look sealed to the elements.

Post Thanks / Like

I use vampire plugs "in the elements" and they work fine. I do try to shelter them but the first year I had at least 8 plugs just out in the elements. And I ran 47 channels with female plugs that were all exposed to the elements.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have to do something with these plugs lol. I think I have about 300+ of them lol

Post Thanks / Like

You could always offer them up for sale. People are always looking for them. Then you could use that money to buy some waterproof connectors. I’ve used plenty of those out in the elements, rain snow etc and never had any problems with them.