Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3.6 build #872 not outputting to E682 controller, Please Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3.6 build #872 not outputting to E682 controller, Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Hey Robotjam, don't worry. I've had my fair share of headaches and panic moments working with the E682 and vixen, and in the end, it all worked out. First thing, can you either send a picture of what the e682 led's look like when attempting to run vixen? As in which ones are doing what.
    Also, could you clarify this: "When I open the E682 controller program last years display works perfectly when I test all colors and patterns programmed into the control program". Are you saying that the test patterns built into the e682 that you trigger from it's "webpage" are working fine? Just want to make sure we understand the status, unless you are saying that you can run last years display via vixen when the controller page is open, but that it stops entirely when you close the config page. It's unlikely to be necessary to resolve this particularly issue, but just like the others, I would absolutely recommend upgrading that controller firmware, but maybe wait until you have this sorted. I'm actually looking at my opened up e682 as we speak, complete with test strings and vixen, so I can try to help you out based on the issues I've had in the past (which sound familiar to yours)

Hello
    XmasinVancouver, Sorry it took so long to get back to you but life always interrupts fun (at least in my case). As far as the leds I am finding it hard to get any pics so I will describe it to you. In the E682 test program when I enter the number 14, for example, my whole display lights up and the 5 leds on the E682 board the 3 yellows and 1 red leds are lite solid and the one green led is quickly flashing. When I stop the test sequence and start my Vixen show all 5 leds are lie solid, no flashing green.

Yes the test patterns built into the e682 that i trigger from it's "webpage" are working fine on my whole display.

I have attempted to update the E682 controller about a dozen times last night and tonight, I get nothing except a "timed Out" message, see pics. It just wont update.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    I highly recommend updating the firmware. There's a big advantage being able to control all 16 outputs separately. It's makes setup a whole lot easier. As for universes, each universe can handle 170 pixels which is 510 channels. When setting up Vixen you think in terms of 510 channels. So universe 1 has start channel of 1 and universe 2 has start channel as 511. Universe 3 start channel is 1021.
    In your case what is the actual pixel count? Multiply that by 3 for total channel count.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Wow thank you for the simple explanation of the channels and universes, I could never understand it based on the Vixen documentation.
    Can I ask a practical question to see if I understand?
    Here it goes;
    I have 116 rgb's on Group 1-1 that equals 348 Channels? but I would still list it as 510
    I want to add 300 more rgb's so I would need two 2 channels and 2 universes one for 170 leds and one for the other 130?
    How many channels can the E682 be programmed for?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    I'm also going to get you to look at Pmiller's screenshots he posted. As overly simplistic as this may seem, can you confirm that your CURRENT e682 controller IP actually matches what is set in the vixen config for the controller output? (the grey background vixen window on the right side of PMILLER's screenshots). It is very possible some changes or settings in your router are the issue as well, as you are using multicast ethernet. You may have better luck setting it to unicast and putting in the exact IP address of the controller (e682). In fact, I would suggest doing that even for testing, because that will rule out many other things if it works fine that way
    Hello
    XmasinVancouver no I can not confirm that my CURRENT e682 controller IP actually matches what is set in the vixen config for the controller output. it only says "Multicast Ethernet"
    how would I change all my patch points to the Unicast would I have yo unpatch and then repatch all I have done already? If I do just say so because I will do it, I need to get this right because I can not go through this again next year or ever. In fact right now I am looking at only having two Rudolph blow up dolls and no lights this year and all my neighbors love my little show. I am the only one in my county that does this, so I have been told.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robotjam View Post
    Wow thank you for the simple explanation of the channels and universes, I could never understand it based on the Vixen documentation.
    Can I ask a practical question to see if I understand?
    Here it goes;
    I have 116 rgb's on Group 1-1 that equals 348 Channels? but I would still list it as 510
    I want to add 300 more rgb's so I would need two 2 channels and 2 universes one for 170 leds and one for the other 130?
    How many channels can the E682 be programmed for?
    So you end up having 416 pixels for 1,248 channels. In Vixen it would be like this:
    #1 Universe 1 510
    #2 Universe 2 510
    #3 Universe 3 228

The 682 in Multicast can handle 1,190 pixels for a total of 3,570 channels
    In Unicast it can handle 2,040 pixels for a total of 6,120 channels

Post Thanks / Like

Don't confuse universes with channels. One universe is 170 pixels for a total of 510 channels. The channels for each prop can be spread across universes. So you really could use the controller outputs 1-1 for 116 pixels and 1-2 for 300 pixels. If I remember the old firmware you are using requires you to put in 416 for 1-1 to 1-4 because that's the total number of pixels for those outputs. I actually don't remember because it's been so long since I used that older firmware.

Last edited by pmiller; 09-22-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Btw. I your controller web setup I noticed you have 1-1 to 1-4 set for 116 pixels on 2 outputs. Are you actually using 1-1 and 1-2 outputs on the controller? If not then change it to 1 output because the configuration is thinking you have 232 pixels attached. If you change it to 1 then the end channel would be 348 on universe 1 not universe 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Simple checklist,
    You can reach the webpage for the E682...connectivity = check!
    According to your screenshot for the upgrade, you are set for multi-cast...controller = check!
    Your vixen player config is set for multi-cast...player = check!

So, unless I am missing something, I think you are down to two things...
    Is your router/switch passing multi-cast? Is this the same you used last year? If yes, then router/switch = check!
    Are the universes set correctly in the E682 so they match Vixen? Without playing around, post current configs from both and we can take another look.

Unicast can be set by clicking the configure in the vixen config and then adding a destination (bottom of window) and then in the E682 by changing the radio button. But first let's see if your Vixen config and E682 match.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello
    XmasinVancouver no I can not confirm that my CURRENT e682 controller IP actually matches what is set in the vixen config for the controller output. it only says "Multicast Ethernet"
    how would I change all my patch points to the Unicast would I have yo unpatch and then repatch all I have done already? If I do just say so because I will do it, I need to get this right because I can not go through this again next year or ever. In fact right now I am looking at only having two Rudolph blow up dolls and no lights this year and all my neighbors love my little show. I am the only one in my county that does this, so I have been told.
    You don't need to repatch if you change from multicast to unicast. You just need to assign a controller IP for unicast but in your case don't bother. It's not necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello
    XmasinVancouver, Sorry it took so long to get back to you but life always interrupts fun (at least in my case). As far as the leds I am finding it hard to get any pics so I will describe it to you. In the E682 test program when I enter the number 14, for example, my whole display lights up and the 5 leds on the E682 board the 3 yellows and 1 red leds are lite solid and the one green led is quickly flashing. When I stop the test sequence and start my Vixen show all 5 leds are lie solid, no flashing green.

Yes the test patterns built into the e682 that i trigger from it's "webpage" are working fine on my whole display.

I have attempted to update the E682 controller about a dozen times last night and tonight, I get nothing except a "timed Out" message, see pics. It just wont update.
    Hitting the update button doesn't update the firmware. You need to follow the instructions when you download the firmware from Sandevices or buy yourself one of these and make life a little easier. Just download the Paralax Propeller Tool, drag firmware update into window and that's it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Daughter-Card.../dp/9827203347

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the link to firmware updates. The 5.030 version is at bottom of page. Warning: it's highly probable your controller IP address will change usually back to factory setting. If you use the prop plug the IP address won't change.
    http://sandevices.com/support-2/firmware/

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast