Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Vixen 3.6 build #872 not outputting to E682 controller, Please Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3.6 build #872 not outputting to E682 controller, Please Help

Don't worry Jim, we will get you sorted out. One thing I noticed right off the bat... You have your first two universe assignments in universe 1, starting at pixel 1 and 349. But then your 3rd input value is also set to universe 1 starting at pixel 31, as configured, your first two inputs take all of universe 1. So you have a conflict there, Luckily, very simple fix. Set your 3-1 to 3-4 field as starting universe 2. There is more issue to cover in your post, but I just wanted to address that one quickly, and we will work through everything point by point. Another thing, if you read the screenshot from vixen about nutcracker fx, it says you need to double click to bring up the legacy editor, and you should regain editing access.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robotjam View Post
    Hello everyone and pmiller.

It has been over a week and I thought you might like to hear about my progress. Thanks to your video and other teachings I now have my Christmas show up and running. I have had to reprogram all the effects for my little 3 minute show and this is harder than programming it the first time because I had some great effects and there is no way I can remember all of them.

First the bad news (on my part), after I redid everything on the Vixen setup I started to have one little problem, whenever I would click on the Arches, or the Candy canes, or the larger snowflakes in the Vixen "Timed Sequence Editor" the small snowflakes would also light up. After a dozen tries of patching, unpatching and repatching the elements in the Vixen "Display Setup "window I have come to the conclusion its the older firmware in the E682 that is screwing up, or not I don't know. I know I am doing this procedure correctly because I have made some other changes that prior to your video I didn't have the confidence to try. Changes like I now have the 3 large (3 x 100 rgb's) snowflakes working perfectly, and even next years change from 4 x 8 rgb candy canes to 4 x 16 rgb candy canes also working perfectly. So the loss of 2 x 71 rgb smaller snowflakes really does not bother me that much.

I do plan on upgrading the E682 firmware after Christmas because right now I live on a fixed income and with Christmas quickly approaching that 22 bucks will get my wife something I know she will love and to me that is more important than 2 little snowflakes not working correctly. I am so looking forward to the upgrade because I love the idea of being able to control the brightness because the 3 large snowflakes are really bright and at some points they drown out the rest of the show. Also if you will notice in the pic labeled "Timed Sequence Editor 10.jpg " I still have some "Nutcracker" effects running and there is no way to control the brightness at least that I could find. After Christmas I plan on trying to find other effects to replace the "Nutcracker" effects but for right now I am quickly running out of time and there is so much more still to do to prepare my show.

After all was said and done I had lost every bit of effect programming for everything except the 2 Arches. Is there a way to store a backup file of all these effects somewhere else like a removable thumb drive so if I ever have this problem again I can just open that stored file and get all my effects returned or if I get a new computer I can just open Vixen and pick up wherever I left off without having to rebuild all this again?

As you can see from the enclosed pics I do believe I have everything setup the way it is supposed to be, if not please let me know.

Also I do have one problem I can not fix, whenever I bring up the E682 webpage it always starts with "Test Pattern 14" running and I have tried numerous ways to get it to stop that including reset it to "0" and restarting the controller then shutting it down only to have "Test Pattern 14" show up again next time I start it up. This is an annoying problem but nothing I can't live with, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you again for all your valuable help.
    Jim

As well, why do you think that upgrading the firmware would cost you $22? The firmware is free, and quite straight forward to do. If you have 5 mins of time, it's done.

Post Thanks / Like

NOTE: The attached pic is incorrect. Please see 2nd post down.

If you don't plan in updating firmware you can still control the output intensity in Vixen. Look on the right side of the sequence window and you will see a slider for Brightness intensity.

Keep in mind, if an output ends on a universe then the next output must start on that same universe. Look at the pics I sent. You will notice a start and end universe. If you start on universe 1 and end on universe 1 then the next output needs to start on universe 1. But if the end universe is 2 then your next output needs to start on universe 2.

If you start up in a test mode that usually means you didn't hit the update system button on the right. Whenever you run test mode you need to hit the update system button even when changing test sequences.

You can save a backup file in Vixen. Launch Vixen. Go to "system" "profiles" "zip wizard". The profile defaults to "default". If you use a different profile then select that. Below it says "Folder to save archive to". Click on folder and tell Vixen where you want to save the file. Thats pretty much it.

Here's a photo of how your 682 should be set up.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pmiller; 10-04-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, as I said in an earlier post you can update the firmware at no cost but you need to follow the instructions step by step. It's pretty easy. You can get the prop plug at a later date.

Post Thanks / Like

Hold on. That set up I sent you is wrong. If I recall you said output 1 is 2 strings so the 116 number is incorrect. It should be set to 58. Remember, using that firmware the number of the longest string is what you enter. Your longest string is 58, so you enter 58. Here's the revised 682 setup which is correct.

Last edited by pmiller; 10-04-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is your controller setup in Vixen. The controller should have 870 channels.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok let me try to answer these concerns as well as I can;

1. $22 (16.95 for the plug and $5 bucks for shipping) is for something called a Prop Plug, I don't know at this time what it is but I am told I need it to upgrade the E682 firmware so I will get it and I will learn it. I am aware the actual firmware is free and I have a copy of it here on my computer but the computer does not recognize this type of file so I will wait to get the Prop Plug and hopefully install it at a much later date.

2.The output 1-1 to 1-4 on E682 setup page is set to 1 right now because I only have one cable long enough to reach where my arches are leaning against the wall and when I set it to 58 leds only one arch will work but when I set it to 116 leds both arches work just fine so for now until I make another cable I am using that setup. The setup will change when I get the new second cable made.

3. As far as the amount of universes and channels please read all of my note especially the part about my adding 3 x 100 rgb large snowflakes and replacing 4x8 rgb candy canes with 4 x 16 rgb candy canes. when all was set the Vixen program said I needed and had used 1866 patch points. Here is a complete and total simplified breakdown of my display;

a. 2 58 rgb led arches total 116 rgb's x 3 = 348 patch points
    b. 4 16 rgb candy canes total 64 rgb's x 3 = 192 patch points
    c. 2 71 rgb small snowflakes total 142 rgb's x 3 = 426 patch points
    d. 3 100 rgb large snowflakes total 300 rgb's x 3 = 900 patch points
    348 + 192 + 426 + 900 = 1866 patch points.
    At this time I have one cable going to the 2 arches, one cable going to the 4 candy canes and one cable going to the 3 large snowflakes and for this year anyway I have given up on the 2 small snowflakes even though I still want to program them in and have everything ready for next years use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robotjam View Post
    Ok let me try to answer these concerns as well as I can;

1. $22 (16.95 for the plug and $5 bucks for shipping) is for something called a Prop Plug, I don't know at this time what it is but I am told I need it to upgrade the E682 firmware so I will get it and I will learn it. I am aware the actual firmware is free and I have a copy of it here on my computer but the computer does not recognize this type of file so I will wait to get the Prop Plug and hopefully install it at a much later date.
    You do not need a prop plug to update! You don't launch the updated firmware to install it. Follow the directions at SanDevices.com to update properly.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

What file is your computer saying is unrecognized? Why are you giving up on small snowflakes?
    My last post showing your setup was done from the last pic you sent. It showed you were using 2 outputs on 1-1 to 1-4. So, here is the revised layout which you said you were using.Attachment 41779controller.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pmiller; 10-05-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456