Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3.6 build #872 not outputting to E682 controller, Please Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3.6 build #872 not outputting to E682 controller, Please Help

Hello everyone, I will try to keep this short. I have searched this site for over an hour for a similar problem and found nothing. I hope this is the place to post this if not please direct me to the right place.

Last Christmas I used a the previous version of Vixen (or what was the current release then) and my little show worked perfect. 3 minutes of two 58 rgb bullet style led arches, 4 8 led 3 foot candy canes and 2 71 rgb bullet style led small snowflakes, 290 leds total and I had it hooked up to a 12v 30 amp power supply. Every year I add a new element to keep it fresh and not have the same thing year after year. This year I had planned on adding 3 100 rgb bullet style led large snowflakes and made no changes to anything except updating Vixen to this release, Vixen 3.6 build #872 and changed the power supply to 12v 50 amp to handle the additional 300 rgb bullet style leds. Now I have no output from my Vixen program going to the E682 controller. When I open the E682 controller program last years display works perfectly when I test all colors and patterns programmed into the control program but when I turn it off and attempt to run my last years Christmas show using Vixen there is no output going to the E682 controller. There are two separate green leds on the controller that flash when I run the test pattern built into the E682 controller program but no lights flash when I try to use Vixen. The Vixen preview window where I have a picture of the front of my home with all the different pieces set up works fine with all the little animations running around the pics on the display.

I don't believe this to be worthy of a "bug report" yet, I am going to assume (for now) I did something wrong. Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening or not happening or experience in this type of problem? Also please keep in mind I am by no means a power user of this program so please use simple words or explanations.

Thank you in advance, Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3.6 build #872 not outputting to E682 controller, Please Help

Can you take a screen shot of your vixen setup (and the controller setup) as well as the e682 web page. This should be a simple fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Vixen 3.6 build #872 not outputting to E682 controller, Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by Popo-B-Trippin View Post
    Can you take a screen shot of your vixen setup (and the controller setup) as well as the e682 web page. This should be a simple fix.
    Hello Popo-B-Trippin, Thank you for taking the time to help me, As you can see I have enclosed 3 pics of what I think you wanted to see. The second pic named "Outside Display Window 1" shows 5 stars, these are supposed to be 5 snowflakes but I could not figure out how to make snowflakes but the stars work just as well for my purposes. Those were added to the Vixen program around the end of January when I was planning this years show. Everything worked as expected back then but I did not have enough power for all 5 snowflakes so I could only use the 2 smaller ones on either side of the windows for the actual display. This year power is not my problem but if its not one thing its another, I'm sure you know how that goes LOL.

If you need to see other pics please ask and I will get them to you as soon as I can.

Thanks again,

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

The start channels for 2-1 to 2-4 and 3-1 to 3-4 are incorrect.
    2-1 to 2-4 should start at channel 187 (That means your end universe will be 3)
    3-1 to 3-4 would then start at channel 97
    You might want to consider upgrading the 682 firmware. That way you can control each output separately instead of banks of 4. If I recall the latest firmware is 5.30. You won't regret updating.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3.6 build #872 not outputting to E682 controller, Please Help

Vixen setup is also incorrect. Each universe should be 510 channels and the last universe set to how many channels are left over. So, let's say you have 400 pixels. That's 1200 channels. Vixen would be this:
    Universe 1 510
    Universe 2 510
    Universe 3 180
    Last edited by pmiller; 09-21-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks pmiller, I just got home and a friend suggested I was having problems is because I recently (about a month ago) changed my router password, could that have anything to do with it?

I only ask because all the settings you see in the pics I sent is exactly how I had it setup last year when it ran with no problems.

I really don't understand these universe things as well as most of the rest of setting these things up, I just do a lot of reading, enter a lot of different numbers till things work and then I don't mess with it any more.

Now I am going to attempt the changes you suggested.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robotjam View Post
    Thanks pmiller, I just got home and a friend suggested I was having problems is because I recently (about a month ago) changed my router password, could that have anything to do with it?

I only ask because all the settings you see in the pics I sent is exactly how I had it setup last year when it ran with no problems.

I really don't understand these universe things as well as most of the rest of setting these things up, I just do a lot of reading, enter a lot of different numbers till things work and then I don't mess with it any more.

Now I am going to attempt the changes you suggested.

Thank you
    I highly recommend updating the firmware. There's a big advantage being able to control all 16 outputs separately. It's makes setup a whole lot easier. As for universes, each universe can handle 170 pixels which is 510 channels. When setting up Vixen you think in terms of 510 channels. So universe 1 has start channel of 1 and universe 2 has start channel as 511. Universe 3 start channel is 1021.
    In your case what is the actual pixel count? Multiply that by 3 for total channel count.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an example of version 5.030 firmware. You will notice that I have a small number in 4-1. That's because I'm running Renards off that output. In order to run Renard you can only do it in groups of 4 outputs because you have to change a jumper on the 682 to balance the output. So basically outputs 4-2 to 4-4 are useless. I also included a screen shot if the Vixen controller setup. I have screen shots like the 3 I uploaded for all my controllers.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone, I will try to keep this short. I have searched this site for over an hour for a similar problem and found nothing. I hope this is the place to post this if not please direct me to the right place.

Last Christmas I used a the previous version of Vixen (or what was the current release then) and my little show worked perfect. 3 minutes of two 58 rgb bullet style led arches, 4 8 led 3 foot candy canes and 2 71 rgb bullet style led small snowflakes, 290 leds total and I had it hooked up to a 12v 30 amp power supply. Every year I add a new element to keep it fresh and not have the same thing year after year. This year I had planned on adding 3 100 rgb bullet style led large snowflakes and made no changes to anything except updating Vixen to this release, Vixen 3.6 build #872 and changed the power supply to 12v 50 amp to handle the additional 300 rgb bullet style leds. Now I have no output from my Vixen program going to the E682 controller. When I open the E682 controller program last years display works perfectly when I test all colors and patterns programmed into the control program but when I turn it off and attempt to run my last years Christmas show using Vixen there is no output going to the E682 controller. There are two separate green leds on the controller that flash when I run the test pattern built into the E682 controller program but no lights flash when I try to use Vixen. The Vixen preview window where I have a picture of the front of my home with all the different pieces set up works fine with all the little animations running around the pics on the display.

I don't believe this to be worthy of a "bug report" yet, I am going to assume (for now) I did something wrong. Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening or not happening or experience in this type of problem? Also please keep in mind I am by no means a power user of this program so please use simple words or explanations.

Hey Robotjam, don't worry. I've had my fair share of headaches and panic moments working with the E682 and vixen, and in the end, it all worked out. First thing, can you either send a picture of what the e682 led's look like when attempting to run vixen? As in which ones are doing what.
    Also, could you clarify this: "When I open the E682 controller program last years display works perfectly when I test all colors and patterns programmed into the control program". Are you saying that the test patterns built into the e682 that you trigger from it's "webpage" are working fine? Just want to make sure we understand the status, unless you are saying that you can run last years display via vixen when the controller page is open, but that it stops entirely when you close the config page. It's unlikely to be necessary to resolve this particularly issue, but just like the others, I would absolutely recommend upgrading that controller firmware, but maybe wait until you have this sorted. I'm actually looking at my opened up e682 as we speak, complete with test strings and vixen, so I can try to help you out based on the issues I've had in the past (which sound familiar to yours)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also going to get you to look at Pmiller's screenshots he posted. As overly simplistic as this may seem, can you confirm that your CURRENT e682 controller IP actually matches what is set in the vixen config for the controller output? (the grey background vixen window on the right side of PMILLER's screenshots). It is very possible some changes or settings in your router are the issue as well, as you are using multicast ethernet. You may have better luck setting it to unicast and putting in the exact IP address of the controller (e682). In fact, I would suggest doing that even for testing, because that will rule out many other things if it works fine that way
    Last edited by XmasinVancouver; 09-22-2019 at 12:59 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast