Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3.6 build #872 not outputting to E682 controller, Please Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3.6 build #872 not outputting to E682 controller, Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by Robotjam View Post
    Hello
    XmasinVancouver no I can not confirm that my CURRENT e682 controller IP actually matches what is set in the vixen config for the controller output. it only says "Multicast Ethernet"
    how would I change all my patch points to the Unicast would I have yo unpatch and then repatch all I have done already? If I do just say so because I will do it, I need to get this right because I can not go through this again next year or ever. In fact right now I am looking at only having two Rudolph blow up dolls and no lights this year and all my neighbors love my little show. I am the only one in my county that does this, so I have been told.
    Sorry, thought I had edited that, I noticed the multicast after I had written that. If what you say about being the only one in your country is true, don't give up!! You have people that are willing to help you, just try to be patient, you have time. There is no indication whatsoever that you will have to go without lights for December. Which country are you in by the way? I think the disconnect here is between vixen and the controller not talking. This is either in the setup or the router. Do you have access to the router administration? And what is the model of the router?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Sorry, thought I had edited that, I noticed the multicast after I had written that. If what you say about being the only one in your country is true, don't give up!! You have people that are willing to help you, just try to be patient, you have time. There is no indication whatsoever that you will have to go without lights for December. Which country are you in by the way? I think the disconnect here is between vixen and the controller not talking. This is either in the setup or the router. Do you have access to the router administration? And what is the model of the router?

Actually it is county, I live in Ohio usa and I know there are lots of guys like me doing this and loving this here just not anywhere near me. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Another indication something is wrong is your start channels on the 682 config page. You have all outputs starting on channel 1. That definately isn't going to work. The second start channel should be 1 higher than the end channel of the previous output. You apply that logic all the way down the list. Also, the start universe should be the same as the previous end universe unless the end universe has an end channel of 510 then you go to the next universe.
    Your 1st set of outputs is good except for the fact the number of pixels should be 58, not 116. Notwithstanding that fact the next set of outputs should be:
    Start address universe 2 channel 187, end address universe 2 channel 283
    Start address universe 2 channel 284, end address universe 3 channel 200 (this 200 will be automatically set if my calculations are correct.)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pmiller; 09-23-2019 at 12:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

for the record I have just updated my router firmware form Feb 2010 to March 2014. Its an older router
    and last night I spent hours learning and making changes to my firewall and advanced firewall settings, like I thought was the problem, it didn't help.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys I truly do appreciate all your help and advice. I have tried things, I have learned things, I have copy and pasted things I never understood before tonight. but its past 1 am here and I cant go any longer I need to go to bed I got the real world to deal with in about 6 hours. I will be back around 10 pm eastern tonight.

Thank you all again

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing to take note of. I see you have your controller set to 2000 channels. If you only have 290 pixels it should be set to 870 channels. Your controller is scanning all those empty channels. It says you have 1770 patched channels. No way. That's twice what you have in channels. Something wrong there and 230 unpatched channels? Patching isn't a big deal so you need to get rid of all those useless channels.

Last edited by pmiller; 09-23-2019 at 01:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    The other thing to take note of. I see you have your controller set to 2000 channels. If you only have 290 pixels it should be set to 870 channels. Your controller is scanning all those empty channels. It says you have 1770 patched channels. No way. That's twice what you have in channels. Something wrong there and 230 unpatched channels? Patching isn't a big deal so you need to get rid of all those useless channels.

I'm going to agree with pmiller robot jam. When I've had very similar issues in the past, best thing to do when it's being a pain is go back to beginning. Double check that all your items in patching have the correct color type set. My similar issue, I made sure the strings were set correctly, re applied the color settings, then I re created the e682 device from scratch, leaving the original as backup. Then I repatched it, making sure to get the universe setup done right like the info by pmiller. Honestly less time than trying to tinker with an old, incorrect device setup in vixen. Start with the basics and make sure you get a single string to come on via vixen by simply triggering a solid set level effect preview. What I would do very very temporarily (if you don't know a ton about the windows firewalls, not the router one), is disable any firewall you have on the pc JUST long enough to see if you are able to trigger anything through vixen. Then immediately turn it back on.

Ultimately, I will say this. When I was starting up, and I had all these issues, someone from here offered to TeamViewer to my pc and help figure it out. And it absolutely went against rationale and I wasn't super comfortable at first to let someone you don't truly know in to your pc, but he fixed it and helped me a TON. Having said that, if you get to the point where you just can't figure it out, I or someone else can do that for you. Leave that as a last case scenario, but people help each other out here. Pay it forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Good evening gentlemen,

I fixed it, I now have my little show running and it is so beautiful.

After playing with firewalls on my computer and in my router for the last three hours my son got home from work and although he is no computer scientist he does like to play around in areas of a computer not many people know exist. Any as I described my problem to him I mentioned how I was encouraged to change from multicast ethernet to the unicast with the same IP address as the E682 controller. That is where he pointed out I entered the wrong IP address, so I changed the IP address to the correct one and that fixed it WAHOO and now my show I have setup all over the living room is beautifully blinding me.

I know I still have a lot of reprogramming channels and such but now it will be worth the effort.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions and for teaching me new things which will improve my understanding of how all this works, I just wish the E682 controller would update but I really don't care that much just as long as my show is running. Thank you again.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it working. If you stayed with multicast you wouldn't have to worry about IP address. Multicast can use 7 universes while unicast can use 12 universes allowing for more pixels. Not sure how you got it running because the 682 setup page has all universes starting on channel 1 and the Vixen setup is wrong also. Correcting these things will make your system run more efficiently on fewer universes and with the deletion of unused controller outputs.

Last edited by pmiller; 09-24-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, see my earlier post on updating firmware.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast