Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arduino over lan using vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arduino over lan using vixen

good afternoon,

I'm fairly new to Arduino. I wish to use a Arduino to turn my display on so the pixels and all the other elements will come on together.

my question is can vixen turn the Arduino channels on via Ethernet, I have a mega and a Ethernet shield, if so what setting do i use in the vixen setup do you still use the generic serial or another setting.

also will i need to upload my sketch every time or will the Arduino remember the lan settings.

regards Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arduino over lan using vixen

I can answer the question regarding "will I need to upload my sketch every time". No, once uploaded, a sketch stays resident.

What are you trying to control - power to your pixels or the pixels themselves?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi thank you for your reply,
    I use a san device e682 to run the pixels, the issue is the pixels will automatically turn on via vixen then i have to turn all the other elements on manually, this is ok if i'm home, i can turn them on remotely but sometimes forget the time and turn my display on later than the pixels. i wanted vixen to turn on the channels on the arduino so that everything comes on at the same time.
    does the aurdino need constant power for it to remember the settings?
    thanks, Pete

Post Thanks / Like

is your e682 hard wired or wifi? If you have wifi, you could use ESP8266 (ESP-01) with the arduino for a wifi connection. I have a sketch that I use with that setup.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kevin thanks for replying i have a Wifi connection, so can be either, would i need to by a wifi adaptor for the arduino?
    my network system is i have a wireless bridge to my display and the e682 is connected to that with a cable
    thanks again, Pete

Post Thanks / Like

You need to create an Arduino sketch that uses E1.31 as the transport protocol. In the sketch you map E1.31 channels to the Arduino outputs. In vixen you create elements that represent your Arduino props and add those elements to your sequences. In vixen you add an E1.31 controller that represents your Arduino and map your elements to it.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Was out catching some tuna yesterday.

I use an ESP-01 module connected to my arduino MEGA (clone) so that it recieves data from vixen via E1.31. I have a sketch that receives the data from the ESP-01 (running Shelby's firmware) that works well. If you want to explore that, then check some of my posts on this board or let me know via this thread and I will help as much as possible.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

That solution is using an arduino (ESP01) to convert E1.31 to Serial and then another Arduino to convert the serial to control data. Simpler to do it all in a single Arduino

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a 4 Stick like this one:

http://renard-shop.com/controller-bo...board-set.html

Not sure the amps is enough but is basically a similar idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kev once again thanks for your input,
    hope you caught plenty of tuna,
    sorry its been a while to reply, work is getting in the way of Christmas light display very rude lol,
    Im rubbish with software and programming, so any help would be appreciated, my strengths are in the hardware and electrical , I'm happy what ever is easy to do,
    if you able to do a step by step guide what i need to do, that would be appreciated
    is your sketch on here? also have you got a link for the ESP-01 so i know what i need to buy?
    again thank you pete
    Last edited by littlepete83; 09-22-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast