Thread: Pixel mini tree layout

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel mini tree layout

I have 24" tomato cages I use as frames for mini trees. Last season, I wanted to have effects more clearly defined, so I thought by laying out the pixels in an up/down format, left to right, all pointing straight towards the viewers, that this would allow me to do more specific effects. While this was true, it effectively made them not look like trees or mini trees at all, and just turned the cages into mounting for a small, non dense matrix. As nobody can view the show beyond the front 180 degrees I also limited the lights to that which didn't help. Ws2811 bullets, 5v. So this year, I figured by making sure to wrap all the way around and making sure the taper at the top is more defined, It would help return the look of more of a "mini christmas tree" intended. My first thought however, was that the pixels on the back 180 degrees were a waste since you wouldn't see a heck of a lot. So I figured, maybe I can run the bullets outwards for the front 180 degrees, and then secure the wire to the cage, and flip the bullets to face inwards for the back 180 degrees, then switch back as it came around the front half again. Alternate like that top to bottom so that all the pixels are basically facing forward. Not entirely sure that is going to work very well however because the result of trying to flip the bullets around is that they aren't very perpendicular to the frame. They are pointing up down left right etc.. on the back side as a result of flipping the cable. So I thought I would seek some collective feedback and advice from those here. Stands to reason various solutions have been tried, failed, and then a happy medium found. I'm trying to keep each tree to 50 nodes to avoid having to power inject anywhere but the top or bottom, but I can expand that number. Thoughts?
    Last edited by XmasinVancouver; 09-17-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel mini tree layout

I recently built some little spiral trees and have the bullets along the tangent of the circle. There is plenty of pixel visibility - I donít think the pixels have to be facing the audience. Doing it this way might make it easier to secure to the tomato cage and give you a uniform look.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use tomato cages but I have 6 strips of 12 vertically mounted with a star on top. I like your idea of wrapping around the tangent. Do you have any pics or video of them in action? I may just do away with the pixels on mini trees and go back to just ac LEDs, 3 or 4 colors. But for this year I'll stay with what I have.
    Didn't mean to hijack your post but I don't really have any ideas other than what I have done and it sounds like you have already tried that.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayhjr View Post
    I also use tomato cages but I have 6 strips of 12 vertically mounted with a star on top. I like your idea of wrapping around the tangent. Do you have any pics or video of them in action? I may just do away with the pixels on mini trees and go back to just ac LEDs, 3 or 4 colors. But for this year I'll stay with what I have.
    Didn't mean to hijack your post but I don't really have any ideas other than what I have done and it sounds like you have already tried that.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    No by all means go ahead. I encourage a debate or any and all opinions/ideas that would help anybody who comes across the thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jguenther View Post
    I recently built some little spiral trees and have the bullets along the tangent of the circle. There is plenty of pixel visibility - I don’t think the pixels have to be facing the audience. Doing it this way might make it easier to secure to the tomato cage and give you a uniform look.
    I second that, any pictures or way of showing the results?