Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 Foot Tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default 30 Foot Tree

For the past several years, we have had a 36 foot tree based on a radio tower. 16 wire rope based strings connected to a solid top directly connected to the center pole of the radio tower. With a lot of manpower, we have swung the tower with the lights attached up into place. It worked, but has been a pain getting enough muscle to put it up in October, and back down in January. Also, if anything needed maintenance, we were out of luck.

This year we want to double the number of strings. That will be 32 strings of 100 pixels each. (All pixels zip tied to wire rope, taking the stress off of the pixels, and providing for a view from 360 degrees.)

What we want to do is have a way to pull the lights up the tower, once the tower is upright and properly guyed down. Many different ideas have come and gone, but none has been proved "doable".

Does anyone have a standard pole going up 35 feet, with a winch system to pull the lights up? Do you have pictures? Do you have any 'words of wisdom' as to what to and what not to do?

Thanks in Advance for anything that you may be able to send our way.

Al & Peg
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 30 Foot Tree

I was just on Matt Johnsons site and he has a large mega-tree not sure how but says they can be lowered https://livinglightshows.com/rgb-pixel-megatree-kit/
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

No experience with something that tall here. But I will offer two ideas you might work with.

Make friends with the local electric utility? I am sure they have a boom truck that should get you close.

It looks to me like the Living light Shows tree uses a single string system that runs empty strip back down the middle. You could do something similar by tying off your wire rope with a double long piece of rope of some kind. You could use a lightweight starter string that would pull up a rope that in turn would pull up the pixels. The "doable" part is you might get twists as you pulled it up so you might have to untwist the bottom side before securing it in place.

Post Thanks / Like

How wide is your tower? You could make a collar that rides up the outside tide to a set of cables going to the ground on the inside. This means you would have to stop a few inches from the top to leave room for some pulley's. It also means you can use an electric winch at the bottom, making raising and lowering simpler.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Look up “crazychristmascrew” on YouTube.
    He did something close to what your asking. He used the radio tower added rings for support and pulled them up with a winch or rope( I forget which one )

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks. I'll give them all a try.
    BTW - I found CrazyChristmasCrew on YouTube, but haven't found where he shows his mega tree yet. But I'm still looking!
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I should have mentioned it was from this past years show. He used incans but I’m sure you just use the same concept with pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdanna77 View Post
    I should have mentioned it was from this past years show. He used incans but I’m sure you just use the same concept with pixels.
    Thanks. Still looking.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was toying with the mega tree lift in 2012 , I came up with a 5-1 lift variant via hand crank and cable . I used 5 pulleys

Do you have a welder ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    When I was toying with the mega tree lift in 2012 , I came up with a 5-1 lift variant via hand crank and cable . I used 5 pulleys

Do you have a welder ?
    You would think that I would have learned, but alas - no need for a welder as I don't have a clue as to how to do/use it.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast