Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on power supplies and types

Post Thanks / Like

Default Feedback on power supplies and types

Hey, so I'm about to pull the trigger on my Ray wu order, and in the interest of saving on shipping, I'm trying to get anything I may need in one order. one of those things is power supplies. Now, I can already guess that some people will be dead set on sticking with the Meanwell's quality/staying away from the cheaper chinese supplies. But let's assume the Meanwell's aren't a choice for now. I've usually stuck with 5v, 60A, 300-350w non waterproof supplies. Those are fine. But I'd heard of the waterproof or "rain proof" power supplies as well. They were usually more expensive for equivalent specs, so I never tried them out. I'm curious if anyone had any feedback that has used any of those in general. Not the exact brand or whatnot, but see the two links below for a few examples. I live in Vancouver....the Rainforest of the Pacific northwest, and the level of precautions taken out of an abundance of caution is more than most I think. No, i'm not under the impression that I can just chuck it out in the open and call it a day, but a little extra protection wouldn't hurt, even though it's not mandatory as I already have non waterproof supplies in use. They are actually cheaper than the non waterproof one at Ray Wu's store currently by a few bucks. So I'm curious, any downsides? Restrictions/limitations/considerations vs the normal non waterproof ones?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...17426c78mZQkOR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Feedback on power supplies and types

I use two "waterproof" power supplies. Mine are smaller wattage units and a slim case. It was recommended for "full" waterproofing to open them up and fill them with hot glue for extra precaution. I did one and left the other. Both have been working seasonally for me for about 5 years now and I have just laid them on some rocks in my landscaping. Snow, rain and sunshine seem to have no effect. I am happy with them overall.

I noticed one of your links shows a unit with a decent vent on it. I would not get that for use without protection at my place but maybe it would be fine in another environment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    I use two "waterproof" power supplies. Mine are smaller wattage units and a slim case. It was recommended for "full" waterproofing to open them up and fill them with hot glue for extra precaution. I did one and left the other. Both have been working seasonally for me for about 5 years now and I have just laid them on some rocks in my landscaping. Snow, rain and sunshine seem to have no effect. I am happy with them overall.

I noticed one of your links shows a unit with a decent vent on it. I would not get that for use without protection at my place but maybe it would be fine in another environment.
    Lol, yeah, I was scratching my head about that... How the hell is that waterproof if it has a multi hole vent? I just grabbed 3 examples of waterproof (probably should be in quotes) supplies. I could not quite see the interface portion clearly. Should I assume basically the same idea as the non water proof?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Lol, yeah, I was scratching my head about that... How the hell is that waterproof if it has a multi hole vent? I just grabbed 3 examples of waterproof (probably should be in quotes) supplies. I could not quite see the interface portion clearly. Should I assume basically the same idea as the non water proof?
    None of them said waterproof. They all referred to as being rain proof. Big difference.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    None of them said waterproof. They all referred to as being rain proof. Big difference.
    I just picked 3 random ones that fell under that kind of category, I know there is a difference, But i'm referring to the general "waterproof" category of power supplies. In the case of the venting...if it's raining, there's a hole in the top. Maybe it's a generic picture, who knows. Anybody else know anything about them or have experience to throw in? water.PNG

Post Thanks / Like

I have a handful of rainproof units that were intended to power LED landscape lights. I've used them for a couple of years sitting in the snow with no problems. This year I actually used one for landscape lights, setting it out in the mulch partially buried. Although the lawn was swampy in the Spring and we've had a number of heavy downpours in the Summer I've had no problems with the power supply.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like I'm going to have to give them a try based on the confidence of the replies so far. Good stuff, thank you. And on a side note if anybody reads this who hasn't ordered from Ray Wu before....NEVER place the order straight up from the site!! Always take a screenshot after putting whatever in your cart and message it to him ask for a shipping quote. Massive difference in most cases

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the 3rd one in your list for 4 years now to run my small P10 matrix (3x2 panels)
    I have it mounted on the back of my matrix board (exposed to elements), but I always have it pushed up against my step to prevent any driving snow/rain from blowing up inside.
    The only downside to these power supplies is that they are noisy, as the fan is on at all times (probably a good thing to keep air blowing out).
    Not an issue since it sits against my step and away from viewers but something to be wary of.
    I get a LOT of rain in October/November/December and mixes of snow/sleet/hail.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    I have used the 3rd one in your list for 4 years now to run my small P10 matrix (3x2 panels)
    I have it mounted on the back of my matrix board (exposed to elements), but I always have it pushed up against my step to prevent any driving snow/rain from blowing up inside.
    The only downside to these power supplies is that they are noisy, as the fan is on at all times (probably a good thing to keep air blowing out).
    Not an issue since it sits against my step and away from viewers but something to be wary of.
    Lol, I believe you Phil! I really do ���� we each have one end of the country border up against the ocean. You guys certainly get more snow than we do. Vancouver is really weird like that. We can have multiple years with either just a dusting or 1/2" of snow all winter because it will just never dip below freezing at the same time as precipitation, and if we do get a cold day, it will be sunny. So can go an entire winter with no snow sticking all season, and then a random cold snap a random year where we will have quite a few snow falls. But pretty sure even those years are more like an average year for you guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    Hmmm.... Are they "rain proof" by keeping positive air pressure so that the liquid can't get into the vent?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast