Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universe file

Post Thanks / Like

Default Universe file

I noticed Vixen now saves a .json file for the universes. How can I get it to export a .txt file that I can bring into Excel? I use that file to create a list of universes for reference.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Universe file

The json file is the format used by FPP 2.x. There are some utilities you can use to load a json file into excel.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...3-a08bb53cd4c0

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, I tried that but no data appears. I tried several different approaches and nothing worked. So, I edited the .json file so it now appears like the old text file. It took about 40 minutes to edit the text but I got it done.

Post Thanks / Like

May I recommend notepad++ It will open .Json files and keep original format.
    https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tecnageek View Post
    May I recommend notepad++ It will open .Json files and keep original format.
    https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
    Original format is not what I want. I need the format previous versions of Vixen made with all info on one line for each universe separated by coma's.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask what / how you are using it? Maybe there is a feature here we can build in that could benefit others.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, I do this basically for visual reference so I know what controllers use which universes and starting channels. The old way Vixen exported the universe file was perfect for bringing into Excel. The commas allowed me to select text delimiter which put all the numbers in columns. Then I just deleted the columns that had all 1's which I believe there were 2 columns. Then I added the text for controller identification. The attached file a show what I get. I'm not sure if other would be interested in something like this. I never seen any talk about it but it's generally for personal use. The .json file makes for a lot of work but it can be done as you see here.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarity. It probably would not take much effort to create some logic that would create that directly in excel or simple text format. I'll keep that in mind and if I get a spare cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    Thanks for the clarity. It probably would not take much effort to create some logic that would create that directly in excel or simple text format. I'll keep that in mind and if I get a spare cycle.
    Thank you. Even the previous export would work and a selection could be made for exporting as txt. Right now I edit the .json file to look like this. It takes a bit of work but for me it's worth it. As a feature in Vixen I can't say because I have no idea if anyone would be I interested and to me I don't think it's worth the extra effort for one person.

When I bring it into Excel I check "tab" and "comma" as my delimiters and everything appears in columns. The older version of Vixen export added a 1 in 2 different places so I would just deleted those columns.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I used to print out the file and put it in the "show book" for reference. Came in handy more than once.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast