Thread: Swipe effect not working on some generic numbered group elements

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swipe effect not working on some generic numbered group elements

I have outlined some windows and a doorway on the face of my house. Last year I had some issues with top windows and just pulled them out and rebuilt just recently.
    In vixen I have added them as a generic numbered group just like all the others and when I tried a wipe effect it does not show as compared to all the other elements of the same type.
    Thought, ideas? Conspiracy theories?
    wipe.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Swipe effect not working on some generic numbered group elements

Did you re-add them to a Preview? The Swipe is a "Location Based" effect, so it they are not in a Preview and assigned a position then they will not be affected by a swipe.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

They are added to the preview. and all manner of effects work on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Check your color in sub group
    I had a similar problem with some boxes; 1-red, 1-green, and 1-yellow. Before version 3.5, I could set white on the group and the individual boxes would light their assigned color, and white would appear on the group timeline. Beginning in version 3.5, those group colors turn transparent like yours. I needed to right click on that timeline and enable the colors. Red, green and yellow. Once accepted, that transparent field turned to a red, green, yellow field. Everything looks right, and effects work too
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Ensure in the preview that under the menu Settings -> Update Location Properties is checked so that the locations are properly set. That is usually one of the common culprits of location based behavior not working as expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    Ensure in the preview that under the menu Settings -> Update Location Properties is checked so that the locations are properly set. That is usually one of the common culprits of location based behavior not working as expected.
    Jeff, I think I read it as the effect is working......As per his screen shot, appears that the timeline effect the full transparent
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    Jeff, I think I read it as the effect is working......As per his screen shot, appears that the timeline effect the full transparent
    The full transparent can occur if all the points in the prop are at 0,0 location wise and the rendering essentially does nothing, giving the full transparent look. I was looking at the transparent effect and interpreting it as that element did not render anything visible, although other non location based effects could certainly work fine which might be what he was indicating.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I follow what you are pointing at.

Post Thanks / Like

The wipe is purely location based, meaning it drives off where the item is located in the preview. However there is a setting in the preview to turn on or off the setting of those locations. If the location is not set, or set to an invalid value, you will get odd behaviors from the Wipe effect, and any others that use locations. The reason that setting in the preview is there is because you might have multiple previews and need to choose which preview provides the locations. You would have one primary preview that it is on for and it would be off for the rest so it does not overwrite them. It normally defaults to on, but I have seen in the past it can get turned off for one reason or another and then once it is off any new props added to the preview don't get the settings and don't work with the Wipe. So when we get into questions about the Wipe working, that is one of the first places to check for simplicity.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

SO I noticed they where not created correctly in preview. I recreated them and are now working as expected.