Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to put vixen sequence onto Arduino uno

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to put vixen sequence onto Arduino uno

Hi all,
    new to all this but learning fast, I hope.
    I've started to look at using an Arduino Uno to help improve my display. I've also started using Vixen 3 and seem to have figured that out ok. I have created a new sequence and set the general serial controller. I only plan on running one small mega tree through the uno.
    my question is how do you put the sequence onto the arduino uno ?
    I've read alot about codes on the Uno as well as using fastled but so far I havent found anything that explains the process of moving a vixen 3 sequence onto the arduino so the sequence will then run on the pixels.
    Any help would be great or even tutorials which are recommended to watch .
    thanks all

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to put vixen sequence onto Arduino uno

Simple answer: You dont.

You need to understand the concept of a show player. Vixen has a play mode, I use an FPP to ply my show. The player sends data to pixel controllers (your uno) at the right time to coordinate your show. So the correct question is: How do I get Vixen show player to send data to my uno.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

A little searching on youtube I found this gem

Martin a lecture on etiquette ? really ! I had expected to learn how I was going to output from Vixen to an Uno in your reply and was sadly disappointed

As your replies are usually detailed and on the $$$$$ .

Are you feeling ok Sir ? ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Post Thanks / Like

Wife was rushing me out to go grocery shopping

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    As your replies are usually detailed
    Is this a polite way of saying I am usually "Long Winded". If so, my wife heartily agrees with you.

Post Thanks / Like

hi
    thanks for the link it was very useful. the code in the file is totally different to the one she uses in her display. the one that her link gives you is listed below..
    maybe shes just updated it.
    thanks
    Paul

#include <FastLED.h>

// Sets the maximum number of LEDs that this code will handle to avoid running out of memory
    #define NUM_LEDS 300

// Sets the pin which is used to connect to the LED pixel strip
    #define DATA_PIN 6

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

void setup() {
    // Define the speed of the serial port
    Serial.begin(115200);
    }

void loop() {
    // Set some counter / temporary storage variables
    int cnt;
    unsigned int num_leds;
    unsigned int d1, d2, d3;

// Begin an endless loop to receive and process serial data
    for(;;) {
    // Set a counter to 0. This couter keeps track of the pixel colors received.
    cnt = 0;
    //Begin waiting for the header to be received on the serial bus
    //1st character
    while(!Serial.available());
    if(Serial.read() != '>') {
    continue;
    }
    //second character
    if(Serial.read() != '>') {
    continue;
    }
    //get the first digit from the serial bus for the number of pixels to be used
    d1 = Serial.read();
    //get the second digit from the serial bus for the number of pixels to be used
    d2 = Serial.read();
    //get the third digit from the serial bus for the number of pixels to be used
    d3 = Serial.read();
    //get the end of the header
    if(Serial.read() != '<') {
    continue;
    }
    if(Serial.read() != '<') {
    continue;
    }
    // calculate the number of pixels based on the characters provided in the header digits
    num_leds = (d1-'0')*100+(d2-'0')*10+(d3-'0');
    // ensure the number of pixels does not exceed the number allowed
    if(num_leds > NUM_LEDS) {
    continue;
    }
    // Let the FastLED library know how many pixels we will be addressing
    FastLED.addLeds<WS2812B, DATA_PIN, GRB>(leds, num_leds);
    // Loop through each of the pixels and read the values for each color
    do {
    leds[cnt].r = Serial.read();
    leds[cnt].g = Serial.read();
    leds[cnt++].b = Serial.read();
    }
    while(--num_leds);
    // Tell the FastLED Library it is time to update the strip of pixels
    FastLED.show();
    // WOO HOO... We are all done and are ready to start over again!
    }
    }

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have seen this one around. It is ok. You just need to remember to set up the generic header on the show player so that you get a good sync between the player and the Arduino.

In general, statements like this: "while(!Serial.available());" are a bad thing. But since this device is not doing anything else and the serial line runs 5x slower than the pixel output, you get away with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Yes I have seen this one around. It is ok. You just need to remember to set up the generic header on the show player so that you get a good sync between the player and the Arduino.

In general, statements like this: "while(!Serial.available());" are a bad thing. But since this device is not doing anything else and the serial line runs 5x slower than the pixel output, you get away with it.

Ok so far I've managed to upload some examples which all work fine but no matter what version of the code I try to use the arduino will not run any Vixen 3 sequence. Does anyone have a copy of a code that works ?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Simple answer: You dont.

You need to understand the concept of a show player. Vixen has a play mode, I use an FPP to ply my show. The player sends data to pixel controllers (your uno) at the right time to coordinate your show. So the correct question is: How do I get Vixen show player to send data to my uno.

hi thanks for the reply.
    your right that is exactly what I should of asked. I started last year using the basic t1000s controller which is great for a beginner but this year I wanted to up my game and move into vixen and arduino. I've got a good understanding of how vixen works and should now be asking how do I get vixen show player to send data to my Uno. also what FPP do you use?
    thanks
    Paul
    Last edited by paultintin; 09-09-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a bunch of sketches you can use on the Arduino. I prefer the version that turns the Arduino into a Renard device (Renard does NOT imply separate channels, just look at the PX1). Many people like to use a "Generic Serial" based sketch. Either way, you end up with a serial link from the show player to your Arduino. The serial link will use either RS-232 (short distances 0-5M) or RS-485 (longer distances >5M). You can find sketches in various conversations here on the Forum. Many believe the "Generic Serial" is easier to use but then forget that there needs to be a sync mechanism between the Show Player and the Arduino. The Renard protocol has that built in and is rock solid. Generic Serial uses a "Header" sequence of characters you set (and compile in) to gain sync. It is easily lost so you have a higher chance of flicker using generic serial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast