Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounting bullet nodes with pixel strip for windows and outline

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mounting bullet nodes with pixel strip for windows and outline

DAMN, so I got my strips delivered today. I was assuming I would try the idea mentioned in this thread to offset mount the pixel strip to the pvc frame. Knowing it would stick out a bit, but accepting it. Well, turns out these strips are not quite as wide as I thought, and I wouldn't be able to properly attach a strip to the pvc without blocking the pixel hole or being so far to the side of the strip that tightening the zap strap would crinkle the strip shape

Post Thanks / Like

I said I would update on what I decided. Well It's not final, but what I am thinking is going middle ground. Foregoing the rigid backing of pvc or another rigid object, but using the pixel mounting strips to keep the pixels spacing and front facing, and maintaining the window shape. In a test, it was obviously a little flimsy when moved vs a rigid frame, but I overlapped the pixel strips at the 4 corners, so that two strips at 90 degrees both anchor to the same corner pixel. This at least helps keep the shape, and something as simple as regular mounting slips for standard lights or even nails can be used to support. The downside is losing the convenience of the rigid frame and being able to store, take down/put up by simply snapping it into the pvc clips. The non supported version will maintain it's shape when supported on the window frame, but it won't stand up in a storage shed. This isn't final, as i've only tried the one thing. I don't like how much the strips and pixels stick out from the frame due to the wires between pixels acting like a bit of a spring. At least with the rigid frame, it would partly cover up that empty space.

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean the old "cut two holes in PVC" method is out? This is the method I've been going with for my first year this year. Seems like a fairly straightforward solution, holds it shape, easy to mount, and if you paint it to match the house should blend in fairly well. It's not as elegant as others, but simple and cost-effective.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this is an option for your architecture or not. But all of my window frames (except one) go right up to the eaves of the house. All of my pixel strip-frames hang from cup hooks in the eave rather than being attached to the window. There's no rigidity to my pixel frames. Just the pixels in the mounting strips. Gravity does most of the work. I have cup hooks in the windows near the bottom corners to keep the frames from swinging in the breeze. When the season is over I just unhook the frames, roll them up and stuff them into a tote.

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of my issue with doing something like a pvc frame is my windows. I didn't pick them, but there is an overhang sill at the top and bottom that makes it almost impossible to have it lay flat on the top and bottom and sides.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it have to lay flat? Canít it hover off from the frame a bit. Itís one of those ďcanít tell from the streetĒ things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Some of mine donít lay perfectly flat. But look fine at night from distance.

Post Thanks / Like

Well i'm not nitpicky. It's certainly a bit more noticeable for me because people can view the display from between 10-15'.

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie question: once you have the pixels mounted to the mounting strip, and the mounting strip tied to a pvc pipe, how to you attach the pvc pipe to your house?

Post Thanks / Like

Thatís the question isnít it? It depends on what you have for windows, window trim, do you want screw things to the house or not? I have wide vinyl trim with J channel built in. I made L brackets out of aluminum, hooked that over the trim and used small bungee cords to hold the bottom in. Worked great for my situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12