Thread: Mounting bullet nodes with pixel strip for windows and outline

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting bullet nodes with pixel strip for windows and outline

So, I was going to maybe go with pixel strip for outlining 5 windows and 2 doors, as well as possibly another outline. But I will have a decent chunk of 12mm bullet nodes, so I would rather use them. I also was thinking about using pixel mounting strip to get that even precision spacing and 90 degree/straight forward mounting. The only thing that occurs to me, is that while the front looks good, behind the strip will still be 3/4 of the bullet body and all the wires. I can't exactly mount the strip flush to the window frame or to another medium like pvc or wood or pipe etc... So how do I go about this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mounting bullet nodes with pixel strip for windows and outline

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    So, I was going to maybe go with pixel strip for outlining 5 windows and 2 doors, as well as possibly another outline. But I will have a decent chunk of 12mm bullet nodes, so I would rather use them. I also was thinking about using pixel mounting strip to get that even precision spacing and 90 degree/straight forward mounting. The only thing that occurs to me, is that while the front looks good, behind the strip will still be 3/4 of the bullet body and all the wires. I can't exactly mount the strip flush to the window frame or to another medium like pvc or wood or pipe etc... So how do I go about this?
    The square nodes work better than bullets for trim .Plus you may want more rigid material than the plastic pixel mounting strip .

U or J channel is a thought .
    Last edited by angus40; 09-08-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    The square nodes work better than bullets for trim .Plus you may want more rigid material than the plastic pixel mounting strip .

U or J channel is a thought .
    I know. But I already have the bullets, so pickers can't be choosers lol. Good God!.... As I'm writing this an effing BEAR just gave me a heart attack knocking over a trash can and running by....

I had manually drilled out plastic strapping last season for my entire mega tree. All with a cordless drill. I'm "hoping" to avoid having to do that whole process again with the channels. If there's any ideas for using the strips or what not, I'm all ears. Andddddd now I'm wide awake at 445am...effing bear!

Post Thanks / Like

Pixel strip with splicing holes can be zipped to pvc or emt using only one hole offsetting the back side beside the pvc or emt. Painted to match your window trim, they won't be very noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    Pixel strip with splicing holes can be zipped to pvc or emt using only one hole offsetting the back side beside the pvc or emt. Painted to match your window trim, they won't be very noticeable.

Ohhhhhhhhhh.....So basically run the pvc or emt just to the side of the wiring behind the pixel strip? I guess I figured that would be too narrow. Please forgive the HORRIFIC hack job of a 10 second sketch. mounting.PNG

Post Thanks / Like

You have the right idea. One (of many) ideas would be these from Boscoyo: https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index....products_id=43
    One of the benefits of using the pvc/emt pipe is that bullet nodes work since the pipe pushes the mounts away from the building.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm thinking through the same thing now. I am thinking of using the boscoyo strips, then use this straping material (link below) to make Z shaped stand-offs. Thinking one every couple feet might work. Just a thought at this point, i have not tried it yet. I picked the strapping metal because it is easy to bend, cheap and seems to hold shape well. Not sure it will hold shape with lights installed, but going to try soon. I am also screwing into wood frame, not anything important.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VA...r-Iron/1244159

I also looked at the coro option posted above, but decided it might not be my best option.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, "one of many". Keep us posted in what you end up doing.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I drilled the holes for the window frames on my last house and was not happy with them. May have been my process and not as exact as I needed, but not all of the holes were perfect enough and they became brittle over the years with some much material cut away. I am in a new to me home and redoing my frames by wrapping the bullet nodes (because I have plenty) around 1/2 pvc (because I have plenty) and securing with velcro strips (again because I have plenty). The taut wrap keeps them spaced evenly, although they will not all be facing straight forward all of the time. I think I can live with it, time will tell. I can always add boscoyo or Coro strips later if I change my mind. I'm on shift until Wednesday and add a photo if interested. I did copy the idea from one of the forums or fb pages.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic4christ View Post
    I drilled the holes for the window frames on my last house and was not happy with them. May have been my process and not as exact as I needed, but not all of the holes were perfect enough and they became brittle over the years with some much material cut away. I am in a new to me home and redoing my frames by wrapping the bullet nodes (because I have plenty) around 1/2 pvc (because I have plenty) and securing with velcro strips (again because I have plenty). The taut wrap keeps them spaced evenly, although they will not all be facing straight forward all of the time. I think I can live with it, time will tell. I can always add boscoyo or Coro strips later if I change my mind. I'm on shift until Wednesday and add a photo if interested. I did copy the idea from one of the forums or fb pages.
    If it works for the look you are going for, then good idea. It certainly will avoid unnecessary extra damage. One thing I found though personally: with regular lights, it really didn't make much difference or make it look bad if the lights were a little randomly pointed, much like a Christmas tree, it made it look more organic. But when it came to pixel bullets, particularly if used in situations like outlining window frames, doors, trim etc... Just a little deviation from one or a few pixels changed it to look slightly sloppy, even if everything else was perfect. But that's my assessment of my setup for those specific areas