Thread: Cat5e and 120 volts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cat5e and 120 volts

I'm planning to run cat5e and 120 to outlets about 15 feet from the house. Can I run the 120 and cat5e inside the same conduit?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cat5e and 120 volts

Noise will be significant .

Post Thanks / Like

Cat5e is typically rated 300V so yes, they can be run togeather.......but I would never do that for safety reasons. If there is a short you could send 120V thru your cat5e, taking out your network and anything connected to it. Majic s moke all over the place.

15 feet is a short distant, run 2 conduits. And if noise is an issue, put 120V in EMT with waterproof connectors....
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just doing it to remove the unsightly boxes on the front if the house. I can use the gray pvc for running the lines because it's only going under mulch. I ran gray pvc from the house to the shed which is about 30 feet for electric and it's buried only 6 inches in the ground. It's held up for almost 15 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, are you putting out temporary outlets in the yard for Christmas lights? Just curious, i have been tossing the idea around.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben&bobbi View Post
    Just curious, are you putting out temporary outlets in the yard for Christmas lights? Just curious, i have been tossing the idea around.
    Yes, for Christmas lights and the outlets will be permanent. I will also utilize the outlets for 2 pond pumps I have running in the summer.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a direct burial cable in my front yard from before I bought the house 25 years ago. I had to replace the plug last year (it plugs into a ground fault circuit on the porch). Works well and is more than adequate for that part of the display.