Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESP Questions/Issues

Post Thanks / Like

Question ESP Questions/Issues

I've been trying for years now to go wireless without luck. I always setup in the basement, all my controllers and ESP modules and pre-test for weeks only to fail miserably outside.

Are the ESP's temperature sensitive? I know the oscillator on my Renard has a low temp limit that I get close to. Seems to me people who successfully run the ESP tend to be in warmer climates.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-conten...te-300x107.png
    144 Renard SS Channels and Counting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESP Questions/Issues

How much other Wireless traffic is round? And where is your router located?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I believe dirknerkle runs many in Minnesota without additional equipment or special enclosures. How is your WiFi strength at the outdoor ESP.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    I believe dirknerkle runs many in Minnesota without additional equipment or special enclosures. How is your WiFi strength at the outdoor ESP.
    He uses a c7 or c9 bulb in some of his wireless props also for temperature.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you get a Ubiquity Nanostation Loco M2 and use it in AP mode, I use one for 3 years now and I have had 0 lag w/ my ESPixelSticks, it can be mounted outside and is powered by POE injector. Make sure you get the M2 (2.4 GHz) and not the M5 (5GHz) or the AC (does not do Access Point mode). Also make sure to disable "Enhanced Multicast"
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    I would suggest you get a Ubiquity Nanostation Loco M2 and use it in AP mode, I use one for 3 years now and I have had 0 lag w/ my ESPixelSticks, it can be mounted outside and is powered by POE injector. Make sure you get the M2 (2.4 GHz) and not the M5 (5GHz) or the AC (does not do Access Point mode). Also make sure to disable "Enhanced Multicast"
    I have the UniFi AC Mesh AP, works great for everything in my house, except the ESP. I have three different batches of ESP from three different suppliers just in case I got a clone or worse. Doesn't seem to matter, and some code I ran a while back indicates they are legitimate chips.

With enough time and effort I usually can figure anything out, this one has me puzzled.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-conten...te-300x107.png
    144 Renard SS Channels and Counting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    The ESP itself is supposed to be okay down to -40F, and I used little heater bulbs to keep some 5v and 12v power bucks warm enough to work in below-zero temps. The c7 bulbs did a good job.

But yes, I had about 65 ESP controllers outside last year, and they worked very well. I was very, very pleased with the performance of the Ubiquiti gear I used. Highly recommended. Vastly better performance than, for example, an old LinkSys wireless router running DD-WRT firmware.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    The ESP itself is supposed to be okay down to -40F, and I used little heater bulbs to keep some 5v and 12v power bucks warm enough to work in below-zero temps. The c7 bulbs did a good job.

But yes, I had about 65 ESP controllers outside last year, and they worked very well. I was very, very pleased with the performance of the Ubiquiti gear I used. Highly recommended. Vastly better performance than, for example, an old LinkSys wireless router running DD-WRT firmware.
    I would like to see the vastness comparatively . I don't think it would be drastic enough for me to justify an upgraded router .
    Also I would never require 65 wireless ip's and expect reliability

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    I would like to see the vastness comparatively . I don't think it would be drastic enough for me to justify an upgraded router .
    Your not upgrading the router, you are adding a dedicated Access Point, you can disable your router's Wireless or make it another SSID. And at $45 for the AP it is a relatively cheap addition.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    I don't have a "vastness meter" which I suppose would be some combination of a DVM and Wireshark, but the difference I noticed was in visible lags where the lights seemed to stop moving for a bit, then some things would get skipped and they'd resume a couple moments later. It was annoying. DD-WRT is sort of a kluged-together piece of firmware that doesn't have all the multicast things sorted out. The Ubiquiti just flat runs.

The comparisons I ran used the same sequences and the only change was to swap the wireless AP's. I ran the tests four times with two different sequences and and got the same results every time. The LinkSys with DD-WRT always got bogged-down at specific and predictable places in the sequences while the Ubiquiti just kept on truckin' through those sections. Sorry, no video to show you. And as far as cost goes, for $100 you can pick up both a Ubiquiti Edge-X router and the Nanostation Loco M2 access point. IMO that's worth it, but YMMV.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast