Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sequence lag on high numbered channels. Help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sequence lag on high numbered channels. Help?

I've just completed installation and setup of pixels around my entire roof line. I have a total of 1279 pixels (across 13 universes) running the perimeter. These are being controlled by eight ESP8266 (running the espixelstick firmware) receiving E1.31 data via multicast. I have Falcon Player running on a PI 3B+ which is physically wired to the router (Linksys WRT3200ACM). With some tips from MartinMueller2003, I have my elements setup in Vixen 3 in a hierarchy that I have simplified below (not sure if this is needed, but adding just in case):
    HousePerimeter
    - BackRight
    -- A
    -- B
    -- C
    -- D
    - Right
    -- E
    -- F
    -- G
    - Left
    -- H
    -- I
    -- J
    - BackLeft
    -- K
    -- L

If I add an effect on the HousePerimeter and attempt to run the show via FPP at 50ms, I'm very clearly seeing lag on the the last 4 universes (with the very last being by far the worst, then 2nd to last, and so on). If, however, I run the show at 100ms, it looks fine.

I also kept track of the packet counts and sequence errors on the espixelstick software for a 1 minute test. At 100ms, each controller is receiving the nearly the exact number of packets I would expect in one minute. When I run the test at 50ms, the first 6 controllers receive the correct amount (now doubled). The 7th controller receives about 1/2 the packets it should. The last controller receives about 1/8 the packets it should.

Here are some things I've tried to no avail:
    - moved the router right next to the area where the last 2 controllers are located
    - moved my FPP sequences from the SD Card to USB stick
    - disconnected controller 7 to see if 8 would then speed up (nope)
    - replaced the 8th controller with a newly flashed ESP8266
    - I moved the effect within vixen to just element L (above) which is the 8th controller (universe 12 and 13), with no other effects in the sequence and it still lags (I'm assuming because even though there are no effects, FPP still has to tell the other controllers to keep their lights "off" during each frame?)
    - I adjusted the "Max Repeat Count" and "Max Suppress Count" on the controllers in vixen which didn't have any visible affect.

I'm a bit at a loss with what else to try. Am I trying to push too many universes from a single FPP? Should I be considering adding more FPP and using MultiSync?

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sequence lag on high numbered channels. Help?

I had a similar size show last year and had lag problems when I had too many fast changes at once. I solved the problem by running a second copy of FPP in slave mode on a Pi Zero to control my 1000 pixel tree. Master Pi sends data to ESP-01s on my smaller pixel trees and Renards and sends synch pulse to the slave FPP. Reduction on wireless traffic cleared up my lag problem.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how well the Linksys router passes multicast, most home routers like that don't do multicast well at all. You don't say where the router is located, inside or outside. I would suggest you get a Ubiquity Nanostation Loco M2 and use it in AP mode, I use one for 3 years now and I have had 0 lag w/ my ESPixelSticks, it can be mounted outside and is powered by POE injector. Make sure you get the M2 (2.4 GHz) and not the M5 (5GHz) or the AC (does not do Access Point mode). Also make sure to disable "Enhanced Multicast"
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Linksys and dd-wrt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    Not sure how well the Linksys router passes multicast, most home routers like that don't do multicast well at all. You don't say where the router is located, inside or outside. I would suggest you get a Ubiquity Nanostation Loco M2 and use it in AP mode, I use one for 3 years now and I have had 0 lag w/ my ESPixelSticks, it can be mounted outside and is powered by POE injector. Make sure you get the M2 (2.4 GHz) and not the M5 (5GHz) or the AC (does not do Access Point mode). Also make sure to disable "Enhanced Multicast"
    I agree with Ruppro. I spent an entire season fight with my linksys and dd-wrt and gave up and switch to Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2. I could never get multicast over WiFi working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kguyot View Post
    I agree with Ruppro. I spent an entire season fight with my linksys and dd-wrt and gave up and switch to Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2. I could never get multicast over WiFi working on it.

Could be your particular situation router model - OS config if using or setup-software etc .
    Using Linksys m10 and all works perfectly since 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kguyot View Post

Yeah, my Linksys is flashed with dd-wrt. It's inside the house and I've tried it at several locations with good signal strength at all my ESPs. I think I'm going to go ahead and give the Ubiquiti a shot. A couple of questions regarding going that route:
    - I've read the M2 is directional. My 8 ESPs are on the 4 corners of my house (2 at each corner). Do you think I'll have issues getting the signal to all 4 corners? (The house is brick, not very big 60x35)
    - As far as network topology, would I still hook up the pi (and another pi for hassio) to the Linksys router, run a hard line to the M2, and disable the wifi on my Linksys, thus piping all the multicast traffic out the M2?

I appreciate your help. This is my first season with this and I started in March. I'm hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew

Post Thanks / Like

I have mine connected to a linksys router (no wifi), and my Pi, I run all my ESPs in DHCP mode w/ a static reservation on the router. Yes they are Directional, but I have mine on my front porch against the house and I can reach either corner and even items up on the Roof (behind the AP). So I can see 3 corners with out any issues, if the AP were mounted at one corner of the house without any issues, or possibly all four if you mounted it above the roof line (chimney) toward the rear of the house. You would just need to work with it and try different positions.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I agree it was the particular to the router model and version of DD-WRT, i know others were successful and that's why I spent a whole season trying to make mine work. With so many different DD-WRT firmwares and routers supported its hard to know what works and doesn't. With the Nanostation Loco M2 it just worked out of the box, well there was a little config to be done.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: I received the M2 today and configured it. Initial testing indicates this fixes my issue. I still need to do more in-depth testing, but a visual inspection of a relatively fast moving sequence shows no signs of lag at 50ms now. THANKS TO ALL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast