Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

There is already an "ESPArtStick", that is using a Wemos and the ESPixelStick firmware
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any pictures of what the pixel stick with the wemos module instead looks like?

Post Thanks / Like

The ESPArtStick site has pictures.

https://espartstick.ecwid.com/ESP-Ar...ete-p143798032

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I thought that was a special made board in that case. I was still picturing the original pixel stick that is detailed in the thread/wiki on this site. People are saying oh just switch to this other module, but I still pictured everything else mostly the same. So would that whole build guide be mostly scrapped if swapping away from the esp-01?

Post Thanks / Like

If you use the existing PixelStick carrying board and replace the ESP01 with the WeMos board then you need to solder 6 wires from the 6 pin connector on the base card and solder then to the WeMo board. I personally would hand craft a ribbon cable to do this job but that is the extent of the customization needed.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

The ESPArtStick is only 5V. 12V folks will need to buck power for WeMOS, and power inject lights

With the WeMos breadboard, I have added terminal boards to the WeMos and replace the ESPixelStick.
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 09-02-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

The ESPArtStick page had two versions. One for 5V and one for 12V.

https://espartstick.ecwid.com/ESP-Ar...ete-p145284289

Post Thanks / Like

12V page hmmm... Missed that

- - - - -

With the WeMos breadboard, I have added terminal boards to the WeMos and replace the ESPixelStick entirely
    This was 5V. Add a couple components And do the same with 12v

This little WeMos (with Shelby’s firmware) can replace most all the ESP-01 design devices. It also includes a built-in programmer with an on board micro USB port.

I don’t see any data buffering, so distance to first pixel may be limited - only tested about 6 feet.

In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    12V page hmmm... Missed that

- - - - -

With the WeMos breadboard, I have added terminal boards to the WeMos and replace the ESPixelStick entirely
    This was 5V. Add a couple components And do the same with 12v

This little WeMos (with Shelby’s firmware) can replace most all the ESP-01 design devices. It also includes a built-in programmer with an on board micro USB port.

I don’t see any data buffering, so distance to first pixel may be limited - only tested about 6 feet.

Don't worry, as did I haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    If you use the existing PixelStick carrying board and replace the ESP01 with the WeMos board then you need to solder 6 wires from the 6 pin connector on the base card and solder then to the WeMo board. I personally would hand craft a ribbon cable to do this job but that is the extent of the customization needed.

That's it!? Literally everything is the same except you have to solder 6 pins between the wemos and the board??? That's great!! I'm kind of wondering, with how popular the pixelstick project was (is) in the community, I am quite surprised to not have seen anybody do an update/how-to for the wemo variant. Unless it's just buried in the almost 60 page thread and I missed it. Is there any parts that aren't needed or need to be added to the BOM ? Other than potentially needing a buck converter for 12v?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast